Gene Harris recommendations

CJ Shearn

Well I think it's definitely true that in the 20+ years between the first run with BN and his return to prominence thru his association with Concord, Gene's style had evolved to a much more aggressive brand of swing which I hear as more of an Oscar Peterson influence than was present earlier.

But the blues has always been so prominent in his style. If you go back to some of the other Three Sounds records you may find you enjoy them more, at least for what Andy Simpkins brings to them.

I do think that the Sounds was a true trio, while Gene's records as a leader for Concord were much more Gene plus supporting cast.

In contrast to Peter, this is exactly why I only own Gene with the 3 Sounds - good, FUNctional social music from a world that doesn't exist anymore and that I was never a part of (kinda like the Cherokee Cowboys or Brazos River Boys). Post come back I find it too relentless and without any contextual reason for being...

Piano trios, like comedy, are one of those things that people of otherwise convergent tastes can get all kinds of divergent about, so yes, mileages definitely vary.

The lightness is what I like. The space they create is indeed light, but its also, I think, a very well-balanced-between-the-elements light, a pastel that is not necessarily "greasy" yet is very well lubricated, if you will. As far as trio "construction" models. It sounds/feels to me like the hardness of Oscar Peterson filtered through the "equal parts" deconstruction of Ahmad Jamal and then ran through the overall sunshine of King Cole. Again, the resultant lightness is what I like, how they create a space of their own and fill it effectively and efficiently as per their group esthetic.Neither over- nor underdone, just right where they want it. It's a happy sound, and those album covers are all happy too. Per BN principles, packaging matches music.

Music aside, I love this cover:

3+sounds.jpg

IIRC, MG really likes that one but I always found it wanting. Not because Gene had an off night but because of the guests on the bandstand. I seem to recall finding that a little bit of his singing daughter, Niki Harris, went a long way, and Ernie Watts didn't help either. Gene, the rest of the rhythm section, Red Holloway, were great but Gene's final recording before he died is not one I return to with the frequency of most of the rest of his Concord catalog.

I first knew Niki's work through her association with the Eurodance group Snap, remember them? I was liking the samples of "Alley Cats" too Dan, but thank you for your assessment. I am liking the GH and Philip Morris All Stars Live disc, I need to listen a bit closer, only ran thru it once but it really doesn't seem like much of a Gene Harris date as much as Gene in an all star jam session JATP-ish style presentation.

Niki Harris has been leading a Sunday morning gospel session at the Labor Day weekend Vail Jazz Party for the past 3 or 4 years. A gospel choir comes in from Denver and 3 or 4 jazz musicians

appearing at the Jazz Party also participate. The outdoor tent fills up and the music is uplifting and thrilling. Niki does an excellent job leading the event, and her singing fits in very well.

I have most of the albums mentioned in this thread and because of this thread I revisited some of my Gene Harris/3 Sounds albums I hadn't listened to in awhile. Lo and behold! I stumbled across Gene Harris and The Three Sounds Live At The It Club Vol. 2. Wow!

I've been listening to it ever since. Vol. 1 is alright, but this one has turned my head around.

The only fault I find with the It Club albums is the drummer is not my cup of tea.

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b6c3a1b5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

Well mileage does vary - I prefer Volume 1, for the lack of Beatles covers. Also find it interesting that a couple of the tracks on Volume 1 show the group using the same arrangements as on the studio recordings of nearly a decade before - Green Dolphin Street and Love for Sale IIRC.