Shootings in Charleston

I just don't know what to say. This seems like 60 years ago.

It's actually more like 150. Violence against African Americans has been going on forever. This was the church of Denmark Vesey which was burned down after his slave revolt failed in 1822 and he was executed. Violence against black churches was rampant during Reconstruction and after. This can be likened to a mass lynching of which there are thousands of victims.

No, you have to go back much farther.

? I don't follow the logic here at all. If you don't have to go back much farther, why go back much farther? (and I'm sure Chuck already knows that the problem goes back farther). It would be nice if we had to go back much farther, but we don't, and that's also sad.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't know what to say. This seems like 60 years ago.

It's actually more like 150. Violence against African Americans has been going on forever. This was the church of Denmark Vesey which was burned down after his slave revolt failed in 1822 and he was executed. Violence against black churches was rampant during Reconstruction and after. This can be likened to a mass lynching of which there are thousands of victims.

No, you have to go back much farther.

? I don't follow the logic here at all. If you don't have to go back much farther, why go back much farther? (and I'm sure Chuck already knows that the problem goes back farther). It would be nice if we had to go back much farther, but we don't, and that's also sad.

You do because there is a history of violence going back hundreds of years. To say 60 doesn't take into account what has happened before.

This thread appears to have lost quite a few posts that were made over the past couple of days. If that was intentional, well... okay, but I'm not sure I understand why. If it was the result of the board software issue, I'm wondering how many other threads may have been affected...?