That stupid dinosaur!!!!

scottb

Anyone have young kids?

My kids have this Barney Christmas video that is somehow in rotation year - round. On it the kids sing this song as they show up at the house. " pass one window hidee ho, pass two windows hidee ho .." You get the picture. I've never heard the song before and I'm not sure it's unique to the show but anyway, it's to the tune of Organ Grinder Swing!!

This is one my favorite Jimmy Smith songs and I love Kenny Burrell's playing on this one. This video has ruined it for me!

I considered not mentioning this in case it might ruin it for others but then I decided YOU'RE GOING DOWN WITH ME!!!

AAARGGGHHHH!!!! A plague upon you for bringing that up!

Try making it a one way street - think of Smith/Burrell when you're being forced to watch Barney, but try not to think of Barney....ever!

We've got that video as well - my daughter's just about outgrown Barney, but my son is just entering that stage :(

Although they've been out of the Barney thing for about three years, it was until this past Christmas that we made it through without watching "Barney - Waiting For Santa" This last holdover from the Barney days was in the rotation 6 months of the year for about 4 straight years. The only way to get it out of the rotation was to buy them something new that would grab their attention, then hide the damn Barney video.

It doesn't get much better though. Now, they're into Yu-Gi-Oh, Rugrats, and Sponge Bob. My older son is a big fan of the "Amanda Show" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warning, Scott.

I have a 20 month old son. I'll make a point to avoid the Barney christmas video. Fortunately for me, he likes the Wiggles more than Barney, and they don't do jazz. Unfortunately for me, a steady diet of their songs haven't done much for my mental health.

BTW - I watched the Teletubbies with him for the first time the other day. I was amazed at how fascinated he was by them. It was like he was stoned or something. Heck, I feel stoned everytime I watch that show.

Another thing - I watched Sesame Street with him recently, and during the Elmo's World portion of the show, the topic of the day was "Fishes" - I always thought the plural of fish was fish. To make it worse, the singalong at the end was the word fishes repeated over and over again to the tune of Jingle Bells. You'd think the liberal studies colleges that the writers for Sesame Street went to would teach them proper english.

Ah, the joys of parenting.....

:g

Both "fish" and "fishes" are considered acceptable plural forms of the singular "fish".

My daughter (age three) watches Barney at my in-law's house, but never at home. So I only have to hear her singing "I Love You, You Love Me" to the tune of "This Old Man" (which is kinda cute when she does it). I refuse to let her watch "The Wiggles". They seem...wrong to me. No grown man should have that much fun, especially not an Australian.

My daughter is heavy into Disney. We have a large (and growing) Disney video and DVD collection. For a while she wanted to watch "Snow White" all the time. Then "Beauty and the Beast". Then "Lilo and Stitch". Nowadays, she's not too into watching videos, although that will change at Easter (she's getting "Mulan" and "Hercules").

Both "fish" and "fishes" are considered acceptable plural forms of the singular "fish".

My daughter (age three) watches Barney at my in-law's house, but never at home. So I only have to hear her singing "I Love You, You Love Me" to the tune of "This Old Man" (which is kinda cute when she does it). I refuse to let her watch "The Wiggles". They seem...wrong to me. No grown man should have that much fun, especially not an Australian.

My daughter is heavy into Disney. We have a large (and growing) Disney video and DVD collection. For a while she wanted to watch "Snow White" all the time. Then "Beauty and the Beast". Then "Lilo and Stitch". Nowadays, she's not too into watching videos, although that will change at Easter (she's getting "Mulan" and "Hercules").

Thanks for settling the fish issue for me. I had never known fishes to be acceptable. My son really enjoys the Elmo segment.

I agree with you about the Wiggles. They're pretty scary. I want what they're drinking. ;)

My son is getting into the Disney stuff. He's really into Winnie the Pooh.

My wife is always talking about how much she misses our son being an infant. I'm of the opposite view. I love watching him grow and become his own person. It's a kick.

:rsmile:

This just brought back a terrible flashback! Many years back I came home from lunch to discover a Sesame Street record on my turntable where a copy of Kenny Burrell's "Up the Street,Round the Corner and Down the Block was when I left.

Silly me since it was my turntable I removed the offending disk from it,put Kenny back on and started to play it.Well as far as the child who put his disk on my turntable was concerned this just wouldn't do and he came in the room and tried to put his record back on the turntable but not before he put a big scratch on the entire side of the Kenny Burrell record.BTW the child was that of the person who was my rommate at the time.

I didn't do anything that I regretted(like time)but I was not pleased. :angry:

BTW - I watched the Teletubbies with him for the first time the other day. I was amazed at how fascinated he was by them. It was like he was stoned or something. Heck, I feel stoned everytime I watch that show.

It's not just me! That has to be the trippiest show I have ever seen in my life! I swear, the first time I saw it played at the store, I thought it was aimed at acid users, and aimed quite well!

It's not just me! That has to be the trippiest show I have ever seen in my life! I swear, the first time I saw it played at the store, I thought it was aimed at acid users, and aimed quite well!

Jazzmoose,

You're not alone. I can just imagine the Teletubbies marketing people dosing their research subjects to see how the program played.

Sort of a CIA MK-ULTRA program for the kids.

I worry about my son's brain turning to mush from watching the show. I think mine has already. ;)

:rsmile:

• 2 years later...

Up with this old thread because my daughter is now almost 2 and enjoys watching The Wiggles and now lately The Wiggles Show (which I gather is different than "The Wiggles".) Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, The Wiggles Show features The Little Wiggles. Usually little kids are cute, but these sketches are so forced as to be just embarassing.

I refuse to let Zora watch Barney, even though she somehow knows who he is... maybe momma lets her watch it on the weekends when I'm sleeping.

So, has anyone been to a Wiggles live show? Seems to me that would be the ultimate form of torture (although probably mercifully short).

Another funny thing I just remembered: Zora likes Hi-5, which is on TLC (I think) in the early morning and the weird thing is one of the actors on the show went to high school with me. It's very strange seeing him dancing around and singing on the TV every morning.

http://www.hi-5us.com/

He's the light haired kid. Just think... he's my age (28). He doesn't look a day over 18.

Too many of us forget what it was like to be two-, three-, and four years old. My son watched Barney (note the tense) when he was a toddler, and it didn’t brain damage him for life. Sure, it taught him such antiquated values as loving your neighbor and being kind to others, but he’s no different than any other 4th-grade boy on the planet, as he and his buddies sing “Joy to the world, Barney’s dead!” at the top of their lungs. When I remind them that, had they heard a bunch of older kids singing that song when THEY were little kids, they’da pooped their pants and cried for their mommies, they all laughed and said, “Yeah right!”

Short memories. I daresay that any adult who thinks they would’ve hated Barney when they were that age is either in deep denial, a liar, or just completely out of touch with their “inner child” (for lack of a better term).

Anyway, how can people gripe about Barney when Elmo is SO much more irritating??? :P:rmad:

Edited by Big Al

That's why PBS has it scheduled for 4:20 in the afternoon. :P

jim.jpg

Dude, come over to my house after school. We'll get fucked up and watch the Tubbies!

I was watching Sesame Street this morning w/ my son(19months old next week) and R.E.M. was on....

REM & Sesame Street - Furry happy monsters

Furry happy monsters laughing

Monsters having fun

Happy, happy

See them jump and run

Happy, happy

Laughing all the while

Cheerful, cheerful

Flashing a big smile

That's a perfect sign

That they're feeling fine

Furry, happy monsters feeling glad

Furry, happy monsters feeling glad

Furry, happy monsters laughing

Something has gone wrong

Sighing, sighing

Faces have turned long

Crying, crying

Hear them sob and whine

Tearful, tearful

That's a real good sign

That they're feeling glum

Sad, sad times have come

Furry sobbing monsters feeling sad

Furry sobbing monsters crying

Michael Stipe (spoken): Come on, monsters! You don't have to cry, we can be happy!

Furry happy monsters feeling glad

Furry sobbing monsters crying

Monsters, happy monsters

Happy monsters

Monsters, happy monsters

Happy monsters

Monsters, happy monsters

Happy monsters

Sorry for steering the conversation toward jazz, but last year I picked up an outstanding CD that has a track written for Barney! The tune is called Purple Friggin' Dinosaur, and it's on the CD One Stone Two Birds by The Sofferman Perspective. Brooke Sofferman, the drummer, dedicated the tune to his least favorite PBS show. It's a great CD, featuring Jerry Bergonzi on sax and Norm Zocher playing guitar.