Bunky Green

Clunky

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the new Bunky Green recording in the mail yesterday. First let me say that I am impressed with the speed of delivery. I only ordered it from the Label Bleu website on Thursday and it arrived all the way from France in only a couple of days.

Anyway, I am listening to it this morning at work and I am really enjoying it so far. It is a shame that someone as talented as Bunky Green does not have the opportunity to record more often. I believe his last recording as a leader was recorded in 1989. On this quartet date Green is backed up by the impressive rhythm section of Jason Moran, Lonnie Plaxico and Nasheet Waits. There are four Bunky Green originals along with "It Could Happen To You" and "Soul Eyes". For someone who basically came out of the bop/hard bop period Green has a real nice structured edge to his approach which is the perfect fit with Jason Moran’s similar edgy approach to piano. It is easy to hear where Steve Coleman (who produced the recording) is influenced by Green. The disc is short by today's standards at 44 minutes, but it is a joy to hear something new from Green. Hopefully Mr. Green will get the opportunity to record more often and maybe even travel outside of Florida for a few live performances.

Edited by relyles

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the new Bunky Green recording in the mail yesterday. First let me say that I am impressed with the speed of delivery. I only ordered it from the Label Bleu website on Thursday and it arrived all the way from France in only a couple of days.

No doubt!!! Mine *just* arrived in KC and I ordered it just last weekend. On to the music!!

• 5 months later...

up to give attention to his new CD - Another Place. Very nice.

He performed with Jason Moran at the Chicago Jazz Fest a few weeks back. An excellent performance. Am curious to hear more about the new CD.

....and played later that night with Ira Sullivan at the Jazz Showcase.....too cool! :cool:

m~

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am working on a Bunky Green discography to be published at jazzdiscography.com. There are a couple of sessions as a leader that I can not locate complete information for. Does anyone have either of these OOP LPs and can provide the discographical information?

Bunky Green - Visions Vanguard 79413 1978

Bunky Green - In Love Again Mark 57623 1987

Thank you for any help.

Visions was released in 1978 and the album notes "Recorded at Vanguard 23rd St. Studio" Engineered by Mark Berry; Produced by Ed Bland.

Bunky Green, alto saxophone

Wilbur Bascomb, bass

Angel Allende, percussion

Mark Gray, electric and acoustic piano and synthesizers

Jeff Bova, synthesizer

Hiram Bullock, guitar

Steve Jordan, drums

Michael Carvin, drums (Visions only)

Bob Cranshaw, bass (Visions ony)

Alone Again, Naturally (Raymond O'Sullivan)

What I Do For Love (Hamlisch-Kleban)

The Greatest Love of All (Masser-Creed)

Never Can Say Goodbye (Clifton Davis) (arr. by Ed Bland)

Ali Theme/I Write the Songs (Michael Masser/B.Johnson)

The Entertainer (Scott Joplin) (adapted by Bunky Green and Ed Bland)

Visions (Stevie Wonder)

So "Visions" comes between "Transformations" and "Places We've Never Been."

In Love Again (Mark mjs 57623)

June 27, 28 1987 Mark Studios with Vince Morette, Fred Betschen and Mike Nally recording engineers.

Bunky Green, alto saxophone

Willie Thomas, trumpet

Bobby Jones, piano

Bill Staebell, bass

Lou Marino, drums

You Stepped Out of a Dream (Gus Kahn/Nacio Herb Brown)

In Love Again (Bunky Green/Willie Thomas)

Yo Hablow (Willie Thomas)

Dancing in the Wind (Bunky Green)

Green's Blues (Bunky Green)

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Thank you very much Lazaro.

I should have also included Tranformations in my original inquiry. I own the CD reissue, but the cover was badly damaged in a flood in my home a few years ago and I tossed it. I have the song title and composer info (from the disc) and the allmusic.com listing, but I would like to confirm the accuracy of the personnel and recording date/location info if possible.

For what it's worth, there's a dynamite bootleg cassette of Bunky from the Chicago Jazz Festival -- I think from 1978 but I could be wrong -- with Art Hoyle on trumpet, John Campbell on piano, Steve LaSpina on bass and Joel Spencer on drums. My copy had three tunes on it -- "Tune Up," a Bunky original called "The Israelites" and "Blues in the Closet." He plays the shit out of everything, with his homemade outside-in approach to harmonic sideslipping and what a friend likes to call "pentatonic universe" and, affectionately, "chromatic dribble." The intensity is almost overwhelming, though the verite quality of the recording adds to the outness quotient. Hoyle and a very young Campbell sound great too. But Bunky is a force of nature. He willed himself into greatness.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Thanks for the info. I will try to confirm the date and include the session on the discography.

-Transformations- : Vernice "Bunky" Green (as) Al Dailey (p) Billy Butler, Carl Lynch (g) Wilbur Bascomb

(b) Jimmy Johnson (d) Al Chalk (perc) Jeff Bova (ARP STRING ENSEMBLE AND ARP 2600) + guest: Clark Terry (tp-Interlude figure of "Feelings")

New York, November 1976

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

A 24 year old Bunky Green appears on a Paul Serrano album entitled "Blues Holiday" and, needless to say, absolutely kills it. He also appears on two tracks (Little One I'll Miss You and Astarte) of a self-titled Travis Shook album released in the early 90s. I had the pleasure of studying with Bunky at University of North Florida for four years, and he is as beautiful of a human being as he is a player. I'm glad to see he is receiving the recognition he has deserved all these years!

Edited by rweisheit