Estate sale...

Hardbopjazz

How many of our wives, if we were to up and die tomorrow, would know what to price our jazz collection at? Would someone going through the estate sale water at the mouth, knowing he’s going to make a kill? My wife said to me last Friday, "I bet if you sold your 2000 plus CD’s you could get about $200.00". My Mosaics would get me more then $2000 alone. My albums, many OOP, would also get me about $2000.00. I hope I live long enough so I don't have to worry about this. How to educate her on the value of music collection?

This all came about when I saw in the local town paper where I live, an estate sale the next town over for a Nathanial Washington. The six-line blab in the paper said there were records and CD’s being sold. With a name like Nathanial Washington, got me thinking I could find something good there. As blunt as this made seem, this is where you can find some gems. Well anyway, I never made it to the sale.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

My wife wants me to sell many of my CDs so we could put a down payment on a house. Even though I purchased most of my music before I was married, I think she resents it. At least once a month, I get the "If you sold your CDs, you'd have $(insert large amount here).

I would have never considered getting rid of music before, but now I'm in the place where I just don't have the space for it. I figure about half of my CDs are still in boxes from my move a year ago.

This reminds me of a thread that someone else started awhile ago about his last will and testament as regards to his CD collection.

Personally, when I'm dead and gone I don't care if my family gets $2 per CD or $20. What difference does it make? I'm dead.

Why are you freaked out that a fellow music lover might get a nice Mosaic box set at a bargain price from your family after you're gone ?

My wife wants me to sell many of my CDs so we could put a down payment on a house. Even though I purchased most of my music before I was married, I think she resents it. At least once a month, I get the "If you sold your CDs, you'd have $(insert large amount here).

I would have never considered getting rid of music before, but now I'm in the place where I just don't have the space for it. I figure about half of my CDs are still  in boxes from my move a year ago.

Question is, will you be happy in a new house without (many of) your CDs?

Edited by J.A.W.

Question is, will you be happy in a new house without (many of) your CDs?

Good question!

I have been going through my collection with pruning in mind. I've been able to select about 10% of my music, but beyond that, I really don't think I could get rid of much. I know that I don't need EVERY Mobley Blue Note title, but I just can't imagine getting rid of any of them.

On the other hand, I think I'm finally going to unload about 80% of my vinyl. I just don't have the time to sit and listen to LPs anymore (I have around 4000 albums now, so I don't feel I'd be hurting to get rid of that amount.

B3-er, I like your attitude! If I knew when I was going to be ending my tour of duty here on Earth, I'd be happy to just give away my collection to those who'd enjoy it. I know my family would never sell it for what it's worth anyway. My hope is that my son and his offspring will appreciate music as much as I do.

I once asked my wife what she'd do with my CD's if I died, and much to my surprise, she said she'd have a hard time selling them, just because they were mine. She doesn't like most of the music I have, so I was pretty shocked. I'll probably put detailed instructions on what to do with my collection in my will, but that's just so that when it all gets sold, my wife will be able to get help selling it, and for the best possible price.

On one hand, I wouldn't care if someone picked up some bargains from my collection after I died, as long as they were going to a good home. In fact, it would be kind of cool, as long as they weren't buying the Mosaics to hit eBay or something, and really dug the music.

On the other hand, even if all they represented to my wife was money, I'd certainly want her to get what she could just for her own security, if I was to go first. Sounds like Vibe's plan is a sound one, but how many of us are going to actually do the work? After all, we're all going to live forever, right?

This reminds me of a thread that someone else started awhile ago about his last will and testament as regards to his CD collection.

Personally, when I'm dead and gone I don't care if my family gets $2 per CD or $20. What difference does it make? I'm dead.

Why are you freaked out that a fellow music lover might get a nice Mosaic box set at a bargain price from your family after you're gone ?

Because, they will then go and sell it at a higher price. If they were to keep it for themselves, I cool with that. I know someone who did buy a large collection from an estate sale at a real low price, and he went and so most of it on ebay for a lot more.

my wife knows what to do. she has to buy cd´s as if i´m still alive!!! if she doesn't do that, i will be back from the dead zone to haunt her...she is very scary about this kind of stuff :g

seriously, i don't have any friend in Rio who likes jazz, my father will be probably dead too so i would donate them to a musical institute or a library whatever.

i don't have kids yet so...

jazz music is not popular here so an estate sale wouldn't be successful.

anyone here would like to be on the will? :g

Marcus Oliveira

I would have never considered getting rid of music before, but now I'm in the place where I just don't have the space for it. I figure about half of my CDs are still  in boxes from my move a year ago.

Sounds like a reasonable request by your wife. :rolleyes:

Have you heard of CD-burners? :g

Edited by Tjazz

Personally, when I'm dead and gone I don't care if my family gets $2 per CD or $20.  What difference does it make?  I'm dead.

When I'm dead, I definitely want to make sure my family is fine. But that's what life insurance is for!

(I've got close to a million dollars of insurance on this worthless hide.) She can now sell my collections for peanuts. Who cares?

Edited by connoisseur series500

Sounds like a reasonable request by your wife. :rolleyes:

Have you heard of CD-burners? :g

Good point, Tjazz.

It's weird, I've tried going through my CDs and pulling ones to sell, but I always seem to find a good excuse (to me) to keep it.

The idea of selling one's collection for the family good is a noble one, but I'm afraid of setting a precedent of selling my stuff. What if (in the future) my wife wants something for the house, and she comes after me to start selling my CDs, guitars, etc...? That would be bad. :(

I would have never considered getting rid of music before, but now I'm in the place where I just don't have the space for it. I figure about half of my CDs are still in boxes from my move a year ago.

Jeez, this must be the norm for wives of jazz collectors! We are in the midst of cleaning out some closets and a storage room and I'm getting the "why the hell do you have to have so many records, I bet you could make some serious money" speech. Admittedly they take up a lot of room, but they just don't get it... :w

How about a compromise....

You'll sell a CD (or x CDs) for every pair of shoes SHE sells. ;)

How about a compromise....

You'll sell a CD (or x CDs) for every pair of shoes SHE sells. ;)

You must be psychic!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeez, this must be the norm for wives of jazz collectors! We are in the midst of cleaning out some closets and a storage room and I'm getting the "why the hell do you have to have so many records, I bet you could make some serious money" speech. Admittedly they take up a lot of room, but they just don't get it... :w

You have my sympathies!

I hate when she throws out the.... "You have 3000 CDs. If you paid $10 for each of them...." Aaaargh! :(

I hate when she throws out the.... "You have 3000 CDs. If you paid $10 for each of them...." Aaaargh! :(

I already torture myself with that one; I don't need a wife!

Every time I think that I will cull my collection of the CDs that I don't ever listen to, I listen to them each once, just to make sure. And then I remember why that album was good, and I keep it.

Every time I think that I will cull my collection of the CDs that I don't ever listen to, I listen to them each once, just to make sure. And then I remember why that album was good, and I keep it.

I do the same thing. I find it really difficult to get rid of music.

I'm also weary of getting rid of stuff because I have done that in the past and later regretted it. When I really got into jazz about 12 years ago, I thought rock music was worthless, so I sold most of my rock CDs so I could buy jazz.

I've been buying back those same rock CDs for years now. I probably have replaced 95% of what I sold (and I sold a LOT of CDs).