Art Pepper/The Hollywood All-Stars

GA Russell

Interesting.  I was just listening to Art's The Discovery Sessions (Savoy), and thinking that the unison sections with Art and Jack Montrose sounded very Tristano-ish.  I followed the above link to the Art & Lee album, and there was a banner on that page for the Art & Warne session at Donte's.  So was Art, even peripherally, in the Tristano camp?

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I wonder how she got the rights for this recording? Didn't Concord get them when they bought OJC or did Galaxy just license them for their box?

I always owned them. Licensed them to Fantasy/Concord. License is ended. LP

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The original issues on vinyl were for Atlas in Japan. I guess the rights must have always been vested with Art/Laurie and that Laurie did a deal for the box issue

Didn't see this. That's what happened. LP

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Interesting.  I was just listening to Art's The Discovery Sessions (Savoy), and thinking that the unison sections with Art and Jack Montrose sounded very Tristano-ish.  I followed the above link to the Art & Lee album, and there was a banner on that page for the Art & Warne session at Donte's.  So was Art, even peripherally, in the Tristano camp?

No. At least he didn't think so and I never heard him mention Tristano. Think Tristano was too cerebral for a guy who grew up jamming on Central Ave. & started with Lee Young. Not to say Warne doesn't swing!  He does. The Art & Jack Montrose stuff which I love madly, esp the unison stuff, sounds like Dixieland to me. 

4 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Laurie is re-releasing this album for download for $10.

"High Jingo" is free.

http://artpepper.bandcamp.com/album/track-6-is-free-album-10

Thanks! LP

Wonder how Laurie always owned this material?. It was originally issued on LP on the Japanese Atlas label. It was then reissued on CD on Atlas. I had most of them and sold all but one whenI got the Box Set which was released on the Japanese label "Dan".

Did keep one individual CD featuring both Art Pepper & Sonny Stitt because it has two tracks that had Stitt without Pepper. Those tracks are not in the box set

63621.jpg

4974526.jpg

Yes I saw her post, but I had the sense that she licensed them to Galaxy / Fantasy. She really did not say anything about the  Atlas or Dan Japanese labels. So it seemed a bit unclear. The booklet notes in my Dan label box set do not say anything about ownership by Laurie.

I was just curious about the process of the way the recordings seemed to move from one label to another.

• 4 weeks later...

Part of the Art Pepper + Hollywood All-Stars also the session originally released as Bill Watrous "Funk'n Fun" - this features a formidable Quartet performance (Art Pepper and rhythm section) of "Angel Eyes" - Art Pepper is masterful (as always on ballads) but even better the fantastic piano solo by Russ Freeman .... a pity this was not a quartet session only ....

On 7/10/2016 at 6:49 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Yes I saw her post, but I had the sense that she licensed them to Galaxy / Fantasy. She really did not say anything about the  Atlas or Dan Japanese labels. So it seemed a bit unclear. The booklet notes in my Dan label box set do not say anything about ownership by Laurie.

I was just curious about the process of the way the recordings seemed to move from one label to another.

Until we hear from Laurie, we can only speculate... so, I'll speculate. :) I have heard from several artists that they've made recordings for a few Japanese labels and never got paid. I'm talking $0. It would not take much legal legwork to get a ruling against a company that does something like this to get your rights back.

yeah, more Galaxy reissue would be good in general. IMHO this was a very important level during the time when people got interested again in acoustic jazz. Late 70´s early 80´s that was Art Pepper´s time, he and Sonny, and Griffin, and the new interest in recording Red Garland (who once  recorded with Pepper).

Too bad most of that stuff is OOP.

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

yeah, more Galaxy reissue would be good in general. IMHO this was a very important level during the time when people got interested again in acoustic jazz. Late 70´s early 80´s that was Art Pepper´s time, he and Sonny, and Griffin, and the new interest in recording Red Garland (who once  recorded with Pepper).

Too bad most of that stuff is OOP.

Agreed .... would like to name explicitly "French Concert" feat Lee Konitz and a excellent Rhythm Section Mike Wofford (p) + Chuck Domanico (b) + Shelly Manne (dr) .... excellent live performances from 1977 under the drummer's leadership ....

Didn´t hear about that and didn´t know he appeared with Lee Konitz. Must admit I´m not very very familiar with the music of Lee Konitz, my fault.

Got to pay attention to Art Pepper mostly because the time I heard him he really sounded tough like all the other topnotch musicians that usually were on festival schedules (Dex, Rollins, Joe Henderson, Archie Shepp etc etc) , mostly associated his later work with George Cables , changing bassists and usually really powerful top drummers, hard driving music and that kind of sound of Art, sharp like a knife, somehow a bit like Jackie McLean that was my first impression, but completly different I discovered later.

The greatest stuff I heard in the last few years was the widow´s taste stuff, I like to hear whole concerts with all the stuff, the announcements, the applause, brings memories back , beautiful memories.

And it seems it was a good time for musicians who had had their troubles in the past but managed to survive, like Chet Baker, like Art Pepper, like other "difficult artists"......, they had their comebacks and played stronger and greater than ever before.....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Didn´t hear about that and didn´t know he appeared with Lee Konitz. Must admit I´m not very very familiar with the music of Lee Konitz, my fault.

Got to pay attention to Art Pepper mostly because the time I heard him he really sounded tough like all the other topnotch musicians that usually were on festival schedules (Dex, Rollins, Joe Henderson, Archie Shepp etc etc) , mostly associated his later work with George Cables , changing bassists and usually really powerful top drummers, hard driving music and that kind of sound of Art, sharp like a knife, somehow a bit like Jackie McLean that was my first impression, but completly different I discovered later.

The greatest stuff I heard in the last few years was the widow´s taste stuff, I like to hear whole concerts with all the stuff, the announcements, the applause, brings memories back , beautiful memories.

And it seems it was a good time for musicians who had had their troubles in the past but managed to survive, like Chet Baker, like Art Pepper, like other "difficult artists"......, they had their comebacks and played stronger and greater than ever before.....

Agree on everything you've said regarding Art Pepper .... btw the Shelly Manne/Lee Konitz platter comes highly recommended ....

• 2 weeks later...