A Story

I wanted to tell this story, and am doing it here instead of elsewhere on the web because I know that none of the principals involved (except for me) will ever see it here.

Twice a week I take my 88-year-old dad out to eat - and his restaurant of choice is the local Chili's. If he's happy, I'm happy. For years, we have had the same waitress on most of our visits. She's amazing. She has our drinks ready when she sees us walking in the door, and her professionalism and kindness have really impressed us both.

Lately, she and her family have had difficulties. Her husband was diagnosed with a benign, but horrifying tumor which was taking over his jaw. He finally had the 12-hour surgery required to remove it and replace most of his jaw. It will be six months before he is able to work again, and they have two small children. In the meantime, she has developed some health problems of her own. At the same time, she has started taking college courses in an attempt to better her life. She set up a GoFundMe account in an attempt to deal with the medical bills and lost wages.

I contributed several times, as I was financially able. The day of her husband's surgery, I contributed again, and decided to share the fund drive on Facebook. About an hour later, there was a $2600 donation by an anonymous person. I was struck by the coincidence, but couldn't think of anyone I knew who had the kind of scratch ($) to pull that off. Today at Chili's, our emotional waitress told me who it was (with his permission). It's a local Atlanta musician who has family money. He, of course, had never met our waitress friend, but apparently my assertion that she is one of the nicest human beings on the planet was enough for him. I have contributed sax tracks to a couple of his projects, but now i have told him that he has earned free saxophone session work for life.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this story - except as a reminder that life can be extremely difficult, but people can sometimes be unexpectedly amazing.

Wonderful story, Jeff. It says much about the waitress, yourself, your musician friend, and how good and kind people can be. I'm going to carry this inside me for as long as I can. I felt a lightness after I read it and I hope it will inspire me to do more good for others in need and just in general.

"Family money"...let us never underestimate the impact that such a thing has on lives beyond our own, especially now that for many it's getting harder and harder to have it.

All the more reason to put it out there if you do. This person had the right idea, buy him a burger and a beer (or whatever his preferred equivalent might be) in my name. But make him pay for it, he's got family money, I don't! :g