all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went a little overboard the other day on e-music, at least I tried to. Apparently, there's a limit to how many tunes you can download from them in a given month. When I tried to do an upgrade to my account and add another 50 songs, I got a message saying I'd reached my limit. The message also said they were working on some other packages that would eventually allow junkies such as myself greater access to their "catalogue", but there was no specific information provided as to what and when. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when this message popped up. I wonder why they care how many songs someone wants to download in a month as long as they're paying the freight. Seems odd to me that any business would turn down a paying customer.

Up over and out.

They do have those "Booster Packs" (discussed above), if you just want to download some additional tunes this month.

yeah the $$$ per d/l is too high with the booster packs

i'll just get by with the trane european set for now

ss1

Jeff,

Man, what are ya talkin' about? If you do the math, there's no way the booster packs make the $$$ per d/l too high.

For example, I'm assuming you're on the 90 downloads for $19.99 a month plan... that works out to a wee bit over 22 cents per song.

If you add the 50 downloads for $14.99 booster pack... that works out to just a wee bit under 30 cents per song.

So the booster pack deal only adds about 7.5 cents per song more to the typical download cost. When you compare that to the ridiculous 99 cents per song that iTunes charges, I'd say eMusic is a GREAT deal.

Plus, as has been mentioned here before, just download those Braxton albums! Many of them are only 1-2 songs long!

Cheers,

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

SS,

I just keep the music on my i-Pod. My intention at this point would be to eventually fill up the Pod with nothing but Fantasy albums that I don't have in my collection. That way storage, which has always been a problem, becomes a non-issue. I guess at times it might be nice to have the kind of information you get on a tray card, but I can always look up the players on e-music or in my Fantasy Jazz catalogue. As to cover art, not anything I have an overwhelming need to have. I'm more interested in the music than the accouterments.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

They sound better after being converted to waves and burned as a regular cd. IMHO.

This sounds odd, if you mean you're playing the audio CDs on your DVD player too. If they sound better after having been converted to WAV format it appears that your DVD player does not handle MP3s well.

There might have been a thread here (probably more than a year ago) which brought up this problem.

I axed my e-muisc membership a while ago--they recently sent me an email for a free month's worth of downlaods [50]. Sweet!

I will say, for those looking to make the most of the minutes-per-download ratio, there is a bunch of ragas by Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan, as well as several discs worth of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. So if you are into ragas or Qawaali, they have your number! :tup

This may have been mentioned before, but they also have some Blood and Fire reggae reissue stuff up now, too.

• 2 weeks later...

They just added a bunch of Evidence albums, including:

Pharaoh Sanders (several - including "Rejoice")

Richie Beirach

John Hicks

Sonny Stitt

Kirk Lightsey

Phil Woods

Roy Haynes

Joe Bonner

Curtis Lundy

Ralph Peterson

George Coleman

Check it OUT!

I've been with emusic for a long time and am looking to branch out into some of the smaller labels... my taste is generally pretty straightforward: straight ahead, bop, classic stuff. I Want to open my ears, but not til they bleed :)

Suggestions?

Oh, and any specific blues or reggae suggestions also gratefully accepted :)

Hi Chris,

In regards to the reggae, eMusic has started to add titles from the Blood and Fire label, and I would recommend ALL of their releases without hesitation. I downloaded a few titles from them last month, and will do so again this month. My favorites so far are Horace Andy, King Tubby, Max Romeo, and the Darker Than Blue compilation...

Seriously, anything on the Blood & Fire label is great! In an area of music that is infested by shoddy reissues and "pirate" labels stealing everything in sight to make a quick buck, B&F are one company who do things right!

The only regret I have with downloading their stuff off of eMusic is that I miss their great packaging and (often) meticulous notes!

Check out the song samples... they are pretty representative of what is contained on each album.

Cheers,

Shane