all things emusic

John B

My out tastes go all the way out.

Ill check those discs out. Also, reccomendations with as few tracks as possible is a plus!

There is so much Zorn on there im not sure where to start. Sorta like the good ol Anthony Braxton days of emusic.

reading about those leo smith records and they sound VERY enticing. might have to stay and emusic member for a bit longer now.

Edited by md655321

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My out tastes go all the way out.

In that case, I'll also recommend these:

Otomo Yoshihide’s New Jazz Quintet : Flutter

Ground Zero : Null and Void

Ikue Mori : Labyrinth

Painkiller : Painkiller Collected Works

Milford Graves/John Zorn : 50th Birthday Celebration Volume Two

Masada String Trio : 50th Birthday Celebration Volume One

Not all have a limited number of tracks, however.

Also, the Tzadik catalog was added today.

Holy CRAP! That's INSANE!

There was an interesting piece on NPR recently about Zorn and the Masada songbook. He's interviewed as well as members of the band, Rashanim, who are listed under Jon Madof's name. I'll definitely be downloading some of those Masada albums as well as "Naked City Live".

Edited by BFrank

Yes, Masada's Live in Seville, Live in Middleheim, and Live in Tonic (probably in that order, Seville first, for sure, the order might switch for the others) are all recommended.

Derek Bailey's Ballads is one of the best things I've heard of late, and on Tzadik.

And as John B said, of the Birthday Series I have heard, the ones worth keeping are the duo with Graves and the Masada String Trio (I don't think any of the Masada discs in this series, acoustic and electric, are out of the ordinary).

I would also recommend Steven Bernstein's Diaspora Soul (but not Diaspore Blues, have not heard Diaspore Hollywood) - mostly unassuming playing over nice, funky and there is also a percussionist, iirc, grooves. Except for the cantorial transcriptions, I recommend this disc highly, in fact.

The Golden Quartet, I like so-so, though I'm in a very minor, and distinct, minority on that one (as it happens, my copy is up for trade/sale, if you are interested, without the obi).

An interesting alto, and soprano, saxophone player on Tzadik is Daniel Zamir. I liked his initial disc, his trio with Zorn guesting on a few tracks, traded the live disc because the bass player really bugged me, and am also mostly positive on the disc with a killer backing sax section, called Children of Israel, though Zamir takes all the solos (and perhaps Zorn one) - actually it starts very good, I think, and the last few tunes get weaker and weaker, so perhaps download the first half to give it a try.

If it is added, I will certainly check out Misha Mengelberg's Senne Sing Song and many others, now that there's an affordable way to sample a lot of stuff I was curious, but not too, about.

The entirity of Morton Feldman's "Patterns in a Chromatic Field" will cost you just one download. 80 minutes of music for about a quarter - not a bad deal.

Also, Ipecac, and hence Isis were added today, if you're into that kind of thing (basically metal for people who like to think they've grown out of metal...)

Edited by J Larsen

There's an amazing variety of music on Tzadik. I'm having an entertaining time just listening to clips of all the music I've never heard of.

Be sure to give us your picks, BFrank!

Oh, great......put me on the spot, will ya' ! ;)

I don't really know about most of this stuff. But after a first run-through of board suggestions, and random sampling I started an eMusic list of things that look most promising. Check it out, if you're interested.

Im having a hell of a time trying to decide what to download for Zorn. I went with Golden Quartet for Wadada (:tup:tup) Any recs on Masada recording with only a few tracks? Is the Big Gundown worth the download? Ive heard great things (I know nothing of Morricone's music though)

I think im definitely onna have to get the bailey though. I remember downloading his "Improvistion" way back in the day, and thinking it was utter rubbish and a complete scam of music making. Re downloaded a month ago and I have really enjoyed it.

I just joined eMusic, and so far I'm pretty pleased with the service. They have a pretty great selection for my tastes, and while I guess I missed out on the real salad days, I think their pricing structure is fair.

Just today, I noticed a bunch of downloads that are labeled "eMusic ONLY". Most of the Tzadik stuff says that, for instance. What does that mean? I think these are all available on disc--maybe it means these are only downloadable from eMusic?

g08975er0ap.jpg

SOME NEW DEXTER ON EMUSIC

:tup

Have you heard it yet? It's an odd lineup. I like George Duke, but ...

I had this as an LP on Everest (called "Gordon's Gotham"). Good playing, but sound quality's a bit iffy - sounds like a recording from the audience, and Dexter's not exactly on mic. George Duke acquits himself, though - he plays pretty nicely.

I recently downloaded Roswell Rudd's Malicool, which is on emusic. As discussed elsewhere it is an intriguing mix of trombone and West African instruments. Emusic also has the Roswell Incident, which I will probably download, and Blue Mongol, which I will probably take a pass on.

Hmm according to AMG, Blue Mongol is far more adventurous than The Roswell Incident. The sound clips of Blue Mongol I heard didn't really grab me, but I can try to listen to more to make an informed opinion. I do see that the Glen Hall CD Hallucinations, which also features Rudd, is on emusic. This CD does grab me the most, but it is one track over my limit for the month.

I d/l a few of the Sunnysides this month. I think Steve Kuhn Trio's Quiereme Mucho is brand new (to emusic). Dave Holland's Overtime has been on emusic a bit longer. There are a handful of Sunnyside's still not up on emusic that really grabbed me. Hopefully they will be added in Jan/Feb, or I will drop them a note asking about them.