all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do like emusic, I agree that it would be better to move towards a file size limit, rather than a one-track-fits-all mentality. Ironically, some of the dodgy Russian sites do that, but not emusic or iTunes. For instance, no way am I going to waste a download on a 30 second track, which rules out an awful lot of Zorn's material, since I don't want to download only part of an album. By the way, I'm glad they added the new Tzadik material, but what gives with some of these partial albums? There are four CDs by Otomo Yoshihide and not a single one has all the tracks available.

I think the deal excluded tracks longer than a certain duration, 15-20 minutes perhaps?

Well that may be, but that's quite stupid on both eMusic's and Tzadik's part. As I said, I am not about to download only part of an album, and if you read comments sprinkled throughout eMusic, most people feel the same. It would be better not to include those albums. Now if they wanted to move towards a size limit and charge you two downloads for a song over 15-20 minutes, as well as letting you download a couple of under 1 minute songs to count as one download, that would spark more interest in this Tzadik material, which I think would benefit both parties.

• 2 weeks later...

since my account didn't show up

here is the stuff i've d/l and burned from emusic

it's kinda greazzzy in spots

CANNONBALL ADDERLEY

IN NEW YORK

AHMED ABDUL-MALIK

JZZ SOUNDS OF AFRICA

GENE AMMONS

ALL STAR SESSIONS WITH SONNY STITT

BAD! BOSSA NOVA

BIG SOUND

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

ORGAN COMBOS

PREACHIN’

SOUL SUMMIT

SOUL SUMMIT VOL 2

DAVE BRUBECK

DAVE BRUBECK AND PAUL DESMOND

JAZZ AT THE COLLEGE OF THE PACIFIC VOL 1

JAZZ AT THE COLLEGE OF THE PACIFIC VOL 2

RUSTY BRYANT

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ VOL 2

RUSTY BRYANT RETURNS

BILLY BUTLER

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

JOHNNY CASH

COMPLETE SUN SINGLES VOLUMES 1 AND 2

ROSEMARY CLOONEY

WHITE CHRISTMAS

ARNETT COBB

BLUE AND SENTIMENTAL

BLOW ARNETT, BLOW

SMOOTH SAILING

JOHN COLTRANE

AT THE HALF NOTE

LIVE TRANE THE EUROPEAN TOURS

CURTIS COUNCE

LANDSLIDE

YOU GET MORE BOUNCE WITH CURTIS COUNCE

EDDIE LOCKJAW DAVIS

BACALAO

COOK BOOK VOLUMES 1, 2, 3

SMOKIN’

STREETLIGHTS

MILES DAVIS

MILES DAVIS AND THE JAZZ GIANTS

JOEY DeFRANCESCO

THE CHAMP

JOHN DeFRANCESCO

HIP CALK WALK

ERIC DOLPHY

OUTWARD BOUND

OUT THERE

LOU DONALDSON

CARACAS

CHARLES EARLAND

BLACK DROPS

BLACK TALK

GROOVE MASTER SERIES

INTENSITY

LEAVING THIS PLANET

LIVING BLACK!

TEDDY EDWARDS

TEDDY’S READY

BOOKER ERVIN

THE BLUES BOOK

THE FREEDOM BOOK

THE SONG BOOK

THE SPACE BOOK

BILL EVANS

PORTRAIT IN JAZZ

JIMMY FORREST

FORREST FIRE

RED GARLAND

THE NEARNESS OF YOU

RED’S GOOD GROOVE

STAN GETZ

WITH CAL TJADER

DIZZY GILLESPIE

GENE NORMAN PRESENTS DIZZY GILLESPIE AND HIS BIG BAND

BENNY GOLSON

GETTING WITH IT

GROOVIN WITH GOLSON

DEXTER GORDON

THE ART OF A BALLAD

LIVE AT THE IT CLUB

LTD

PRESTIGE RECORDINGS 1,2,3,X,5,

JOHNNY GRIFFIN

LITTLE GIANT

JOHNNY GRIFFIN SEXET

LIVE AT MINTON’S

VINCE GUARALDI

A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS

CHARLIE BROWNS’ HOLIDAY HITS

ISAAC HAYES

HOT BUTTERED SOUL

JOE HENDERSON

LIVE IN JAPAN

BILLY HOLIDAY WITH LESTER YOUNG

LADY DAY & PREZ 1937-41

RED HOLLOWAY

BROTHER RED

COAST TOT COAST

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

RICHARD GROOVE HOLMES

BLUE GROOVE

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

MILT JACKSON

INVITATION

WILLIS JACKSON

GRAVY

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

PLEASE MR. JACKSON

BILL JENNINGS AND JACK McDUFF

GLIDE ON - LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

IVAN BOOGALOO JOE JONES

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

ROLAND KIRK WITH JACK McDUFF

KIRK’S WORK

CHARLES KYNARD

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

THE SOUL BROTHER HOOD

HAROLD LAND

THE FOX

WEST COAST BLUES!

LINCOLN CENTER JAZZ ORCHESTRA

A LOVE SUPREME WITH WYNTON MARALIS

MACHITO

MACHITO AT THE CRESCENDO

SHELLY MANNE

MY FAIR LADY

MARINI, MARSICO AND BROGIA

HAMMOND BLOOD

PAT MARTINO

EL HOMBRE

ROB McCONNELL

BIG BAND CHRISTMAS

DAVE McKENNA

CHRISTMAS IVORY

JACK McDUFF

BROTHER JACK MEETS THE BOSS

THE CONCERT McDUFF

CRASH!

THE HONEYDRIPPER

THE LAST GOODUN’

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

LIVE!

SCREAMIN’

SOULFUL DRUMS

TOUGH ‘DUFF

JIMMY McGRIFF

BEST OF

DREAM TEAM

THE STARTING FIVE

MEDSKI, MARTIN & WOOD

IT’S A JUNGLE IN HERE

CHARLES MINGUS

CHARLES MINGUS QUINTET + MAX ROACH

BILLY MITCHELL

THE COLOSSUS OF DETROIT

HANK MOBLEY

MODERN JAZZ QUARTET

THE ARTISTRY OF THE MJQ

WES MONTGOMERY

BOSS GUITAR

FUSION!

GUITAR ON THE GO

PORTRAIT OF WES

WES MONTGOMERY TRIO

THELONIOUS MONK

BRILLIANT CORNERS

5 BY MONK BY 5

MONK IN PARIS

THE THELONIOUS MONK ORCHESTRA AT THE TOWN HALL

IDRIS MUHAMMAD

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

DAVID FATHEAD NEWMAN

I REMEMBER BROTHER RAY

CHARLIE PARKER

BIRD AT ST NICK’S

THE QUINTET

DON PATTERSON

BOPPIN’ AND BURNIN’

DEM NEW YORK DUES

DON PATTERSON WITH BOOKER ERVIN

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

HOUSTON PERSON

GOODNESS!

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

ART PEPPER

COMPLETE VILLAGE VANGUARD (9 DISCS)

GETTING’ TOGETHER!

HOLLYWOOD ALL-STAR SESSIONS (5 DISCS)

IN COPENHAGEN 1981 WITH DUKE JORDAN (2 DISCS)

INTENSITY

SMACK UP

SONNY PHILLIPS

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

PUCHO AND HIS LATIN SOUL BROTHERS

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

SUPER FREAK

BERNARD PURDIE

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

MEL RHYNE

ORGAN-IZING

BETTY ROCHE

SINGIN’ AND SWINGIN’

SONNY ROLLINS

WITHOUT A SONG (THE 9/11 CONCERT)

MONGO SANTAMARIA

AT THE BLACKHAWK

SKINS

MONGO AT THE VILLAGE GATE

PONCHO SANCHEZ

A NIGHT AT KIMBALLS’S EAST

CHILE CON SOUL

SHIRLEY SCOTT

BLUE FLAMES

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

QUEEN OF THE ORGAN

SOUL SHOUTIN’

SOUL SISTER

BRIAN SETZER ORCHESTRA

BOOGIE WOOGIE CHRISTMAS

HORACE SILVER

PARIS BLUES

JIMMY SMITH

FOUR MOST

FOUR MOST RETURNS

JOHNNY HAMMOND SMITH

BLACK COFFEE

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

OPEN HOUSE

SOUL FLOWERS

TALK THAT TALK

MELVIN SPARKS

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

LEON SPENCER

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

STAX

STAX - GOLD

HIT THE ROAD STAX

IT’S CHRISTMAS TIME AGAIN

SONNY STITT

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

SONNY STITT WITH DON PATTERSON

LEGENDS OF THE ACID JAZZ

BOBBY TIMMONS

THE COMPLETE TRIO SESSIONS

IN PERSON

THIS HERE IS BOBBY TIMMONS

CAL TJADER

BLACK ORCHID

GREATEST HITS

LATIN KICK

LATINO

LIVE AT THE BLACKHAWK

TJADER PLAYS MAMBO

TJADER PLAYS TJAZZ

CHARLIE VENTURA

CHARLIE VENTURA AND HIS BAND IN CONCERT

JOE WILLIAMS

LIVE

REUBEN WILSON

ORGAN BLUES

LARRY YOUNG

TESTIFYING

YOUNG BLUES

MISC

HAMMOND HEROES

CHRISTMAS COLLECTION

STAX – IT’S CHRIRTMAS TIME AGAIN

They just added albums on the Stiff and SST labels. In fact, they're calling the SST stuff "advance" releases - before any other online music service.

See Press Release below:

Press Release Source: The Orchard

The Orchard Announces Landmark Distribution Deal With SST Records, The Classic Independent Label at The Vanguard of Hardcore Punk and Alternative Rock - and One of The Greatest American Labels Yet to Make Its Music Available Digitally

Wednesday January 11, 9:23 am ET

The Orchard Will Make SST Available Exclusively on eMusic, the World's Leading Digital Retailer of Independent Music, Through January 17th, Then Will Release the Catalogue to Other Music Services and Mobile Companies

- Leading Independent Artists Like Black Flag, Minutemen, Soundgarden, fIREHOSE, All, Saccharine Trust and Bad Brains Bring One of the Remaining "Crown Jewels" of U.S. Independent Music to the Digital Age -

NEW YORK, Jan. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- The Orchard, the world's leading distributor and marketer of independent music, today announced a landmark distribution deal with legendary SST Records. SST, which was founded by Black Flag guitarist, Greg Ginn, has been at the forefront of independent hardcore punk and alternative rock for more than two decades. Until now, its catalogue has never been available legally for sale digitally. For two weeks -- beginning today -- tracks from 94 of SST's top albums will be made available exclusively on eMusic, the world's leading digital retailer of independent music. eMusic will feature two weeks of special and extensive promotions, highlighting the SST catalogue over the course of this program.

Beginning January 24th, The Orchard will then release the highly anticipated catalogue to other major music services globally, including iTunes, Napster, MSN, MusicMatch, Real/Rhapsody, and Yahoo! In addition, The Orchard will supply the catalogue through its distribution partnerships with the leading mobile companies around the world, the largest mobile network of any distributor, spanning over 200 global services Sprint, Vodafone, Zingy, 9 Squared, Securycast, Arvato Mobile and Hudson Soft.

By assembling an impressive catalogue of independent artists from early hardcore punk acts like Black Flag, the Minutemen, Descendents and Saccharine Trust, to alternative rock luminaries like Soundgarden, SST brings a wealth of well-regarded artists to The Orchard. Other notable bands on the SST roster include: All, Bad Brains, Bias, Confront James, El Bad, fIREHOSE, Get Me High, Gone, HOR, H. R., The Killer Tweeker Bees, Mojack, Saint Vitus and Screw Radio. By entrusting its pioneering catalogue to The Orchard, SST joins the best independent labels in the world who rely on The Orchard as their valued distribution and marketing partner.

Securing prime positioning in a digital music store leads to exponentially increased sales of a product -- just as with bricks-and-mortar retail. The Orchard has firmly established itself as the pioneering expert in digital music marketing, merchandising and promotion, and is rivaled only by the marketing departments at major labels. The Orchard leverages its marketing expertise on behalf of the thousands of independent labels and artists and labels -- spanning 73 countries and all music genres -- that it represents to more than 125 digital music stores and to over 200 mobile phone carriers globally. With more people working on marketing and promotion than any company outside of the major labels, and the most sophisticated merchandising systems in the industry, The Orchard has invested in a clear leadership position with respect to digital marketing.

"SST entrusting The Orchard with arguably the most important and influential independent label that has yet to make a digital move -- and one of the most pioneering labels in American music -- affirms the strength of our platform and the depth our marketing capabilities," said Greg Scholl, chief executive of The Orchard and managing director of Dimensional Associates, the company that owns The Orchard, eMusic and Dimensional Music Publishing. Scholl added, "eMusic is the perfect place to introduce this legendary catalogue digitally, because eMusic subscribers are rabid music fans and appreciate what SST means to independent music."

"More than any other company in music, The Orchard understands its markets and where aficionados buy their digital music," said David Pakman, CEO of eMusic and a managing director of Dimensional Associates. "We're delighted to have SST first. It adds immeasurably to the diversity of our catalogue, which is the richest catalogue of music outside the mainstream that's ever been assembled."

About The Orchard

The Orchard (www.theorchard.com) is the leading distributor and marketer of independent music in the world, representing thousands of labels spanning 73 countries and every music genre. The Orchard supplies its catalogue of more than 700,000 tracks to all of the leading legal digital music retailers and mobile operators throughout the world. The company is headquartered in New York and London, with operations in Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Tel Aviv, Hong Kong, Toronto, Kolkata, Johannesburg, Moscow and Melbourne, and local representatives in Paris, Milan, Berlin, Barcelona, Lausanne, Ramallah and Nairobi.

About eMusic

eMusic (http://www.emusic.com) stands alone as the only digital music service that is 100% focused on serving the needs of independent music fans and independent labels. Delivering more than 4.5 million downloads each month; eMusic is among the top digital music services, offering a diverse catalogue of 1,000,000 tracks from established and emerging artists in every genre from the world's top independent labels. eMusic was not only the first service to sell songs and albums in the popular MP3 format, it was the first company to launch a digital music subscription service. Unlike other services that severely restrict portability, eMusic allows members complete flexibility to burn CDs, transfer to MP3 devices and make multiple copies for personal use. eMusic also offers access to exclusive recordings from eMusicLive's network of premier music venues across the country. Based in New York, eMusic is wholly owned by Dimensional Associates, Inc., the private equity arm of JDS Capital Management, Inc.

NOTE: eMusic is a registered trademark and eMusic.com is a trademark of eMusic.com Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

About Dimensional Associates, Inc.

Dimensional Associates, Inc. is the New York-based private equity arm of JDS Capital Management, Inc. Its portfolio companies include eMusic, The Orchard and Dimensional Music Publishing (formerly DreamWorks Music Publishing).

Interesting that Husker Du is not mentioned in their list of notable SST artists. IMO, Husker Du, Sonic Youth and The Minutemen were the best bands SST ever had. (You can make an argument for the Bad Brains too, but their best stuff came before SST).

Edited by J Larsen

Perhaps its due to the ongoing feud / legal action between SST and the band? Bob Mould discusses the situation in detail in the latest issue of the Big Takeover magazine. Essentially, the label hasn't been paying royalties to the band in years and continues to rerelease and repackage the band's work.

Interesting that Husker Du is not mentioned in their list of notable SST artists. IMO, Husker Du, Sonic Youth and The Minutemen were the best bands SST ever had. (You can make an argument for the Bad Brains too, but their best stuff came before SST).

From what I've heard (including directly from certain artists), the same is true of just about everyone on SST. I don't want to delve to far into rumor-mongering, but from what I've been told, the people running SST aren't necessarily malicious, but they, umm.... don't really "have it together". If emusic pays royalties directly to the bands in addition to cutting a second check to the label, this could work out much better for SST's artists.

Hi All,

For those of us here who downloaded some of the great stuff off the Blood & Fire label on eMusic, I would like to point out that you can download PDF copies of the liner notes to most of the albums on Blood & Fire's website. Just go to the individual albums, and you'll see a link to "Download Liner Notes".

I also noticed a massive sale at the Blood & Fire website, with many CD's being sold for ₤4.25... that's a hell of a deal!

Once again, if you dig reggae and/or dub music, I strongly suggest you pick up most anything on this label!

Cheers,

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Kloss - several Prestige 2-fers are available on eMusic. I've never heard of this cat, but Scott Yanow (I know) gives him props and says he could hold his own when he was a youngster. Anyway, I just found out that one of Booker Ervin's last recordings was on Kloss's In the Land of Giants, which is available on eMusic. Anyone have any thoughts on this or the other Kloss albums? I'll probably download it next week.

I was surfing the e-music website the other night, just entering names to see what popped up, when I stumbled across the entire VSOP catalog. This was made available in August of last year, so it's a relatively new offering, at least when you compare it with the downloads available from a label like Fantasy. I can see my $20 a month investment is going to pay off handsomely over the next few months. Lots of good stuff on that label.

Up over and out.