all things emusic

John B

Maybe already mentioned, but Henry Grimes Trio (on ESP) is available as well as two ESP discs by Burton Greene (who apparently could have been the next Miles Davis if he had just gotten the same marketing push, according to another thread :P ) and three Sonny Simmons CDs (two on ESP).

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

What the fuck is eMusic doing with the Tzadik catalog? It looks like any track that is longer than 15 minutes or so on any album is "Unavailable for download at this time".

For example, just now I wanted to download Wadada Leo Smith's 4 CD set "Kabell Years", and found that 5 tracks are "unavailable"... those 5 tracks make up 107 minutes of music (or about 40% of the set)! Same thing when I went to download John Zorn's "Elegy", one of the four tracks is "unavailable".

Seriously, has it been like this since Tzadik started on eMusic, or is this a recent decision? I had the Smith and Zorn album's in my "Save for Later" folder for a while now, and can't believe I would have put them there initially if that much music would be "unavailable".

:angry:

Cheers,

Shane

yeah, just a glance through my "saved for later" list of Tzadic stuff shows the same pattern - over 15 minutes, the track is unavailable. But of course, tiny little :30 and 1:00 tracks still count as a full track download...

This doesn't seem to be the case with other labels in my stash.

Interestingly, some of the Tzadik tracks are available on audiolunchbox.com, an eMusic wannabe that probably gave a better deal. I haven't indulged, but was lucky enough to grab the Leo Smith Kabell box early. The original Reflectativity (disc 2) was and is a particular favorite of mine, bummer that it's original two tracks are unavailable.

The Mary Lou Williams Collective album currently being discussed is available.

It does appear to be a Tzadik decision.

It is. Some of these tracks were initially available because (I guess) e-music uploaded the whole catalog first and it took them some time (and possibly a number of reminders) later to take down the longer tracks.

Hi All,

Thanks for the info... To me, this is just a stupid decision on Tzadik's part. As an example, I went to download the newly added Ned Rothenberg "Solo Works - The Lumina Recordings", and three of the four songs on the album are "unavailable for download". Who the fuck wants to download just one song (of about 13 minutes) off of an entire album (of about 71 minutes). How is this helping the artist???

I'm sending off an e-mail to eMusic. Like in BFrank's case, I'll likely get get no response... but this situation needs to be taken care of at some point to make it worthwhile to all parties involved (the label, the artist, and the consumer).

Cheers,

Shane

I'm sending off an e-mail to eMusic. Like in BFrank's case, I'll likely get get no response... but this situation needs to be taken care of at some point to make it worthwhile to all parties involved (the label, the artist, and the consumer).

Cheers,

Shane

I actually did get a response from eMusic. It was Tzadik that didn't write back.

Either way, I think eMusic needs to hear about this. As you said, I don't think it's helping anyone.

Every time I work my way down through my Saved for Later list, something else comes along. Not complaining, but it looks like I'll be a subscriber for a lot longer. One CD mentioned in the re-issue thread is here -- Hank Jones The Talented Touch on the Okra-Tone label (the legit version of this material). The tracks are quite short, but I think I'll get it in a month or so. I'm also enjoying the VSOP additions, though I wish they had added the John Graas International Premiere in Jazz album (a Third Stream piece). It is actually out on CD but not on emusic. Maybe I will email them to ask what's up with that.

Just downloaded the newly added vocalist Joe Carroll "Man with a Happy Sound". He is a singer who was with Dizzy in the early 50s and does some of his most 'rockin' tunes here. Not only does he have some tasty Grant Green on this session, but some super-greeeezy organ by someone named Specs Williams.

Check it out (especially Soulstation1!).

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Yeah!

It looks like at least 85 albums from the "Jazz In Paris" series have been added to eMusic the past couple of weeks! I really only bought a couple of them when they first came out, so this will be a nice way to grab a bunch of them for cheap. And they were already cheap to begin with!

Cheers,

Shane

Oh Yeah!

It looks like at least 85 albums from the "Jazz In Paris" series have been added to eMusic the past couple of weeks! I really only bought a couple of them when they first came out, so this will be a nice way to grab a bunch of them for cheap. And they were already cheap to begin with!

Cheers,

Shane

There's a really sweet-looking 1958 Jazz Messengers album with Lee Morgan, Benny Golson and Bobby Timmons from this series.

Also worth checking out:

- A couple of recent live Oregon albums (Yoshi's, Moscow)

- World Trio with Dave Holland, Mino Cinelu, Kevin Eubanks

- Hermeto Pascoal - "Só Não Toca Quem Não Quer"

- Astor Piazzolla & Quinteto Tango Nuevo - "Live in Colonia, 1984"

Oh Yeah!

Cheers,

Shane

:tup

Listening to Earl Hines right now! :cool:

10910652_155_155.jpeg

Oh Yeah!

Cheers,

Shane

yeah, but its not available for downloading ..being German <_< as I just checked

but there is still enough stuff to get. Not sure if someone mentioned the Bill Bruford albums....

Cheers, Tjobbe