Do Mosaics ever sell out?

There are a couple of threads about investing in Mosaics, and there have been a couple of comments expressing disapproval of the practice.

I don't get it. My understanding is that Mosaics nowadays never sell out. They always time out.

If that's right, then what's the harm in buying a few with the intention of selling? It's not like the investor is cornering the market, because the sets never sell out.

On the other hand, if some sets do sell out, can you name any recently? I'm confident that the early ones like the Monk Blue Note sold out, but that was over a decade ago. I remember a note from Charlie or Michael saying that the Charles Brown set sold out quickly after his death. I'm assuming that they manufactured the full amount they had the right to.

But isn't it true that now time runs out before the quota is sold? And if so, the investor is doing the world a favor, it seems to me.

So that leaves me with more questions. If Mosaic's do in fact "time out" rather than sell out, what do they do with the remainder of the run of sets left over? I kind of feel that I'm being bamboozeled into buying them if there are still some left over, even as they go into the Running Low/Last chance area. Does Moasic now turn right around and sell the remainders thru the ebay route? Or do they go to some kind of box set depository in the sky? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Someone please help me figure this out!

All companies follow the following procedure. They esitmate potential sales and print enough booklets,etc 'cause print discounts are bigger with quantity. So if the limit is 5000, Mosaic prints 5000 books. Then they press enough discs to fill orders and leave "some" on the shelf. They can re-order cds at quantities around 3-500 depending on the deal with the pressing plant. They do not press 5000 at once. This would be suicide.

The logical conclusion would be that they then destroy the books and any cds leftover. If that's the case how come there have been some partials left over. I don't know if Mosaic does this any more but you could buy leftovers that way. That is the way I got my hands on one of the Hardee/Quebec discs, plus a book. For this, I am forever grateful.

Not for a minute do I think that Mosaic would follow the ebay route on selling what they had left over.

I doubt very much that Mosaic destroys any CD's, boxes, or booklets.

I imagine that when a Mosaic set "times out", it means that Mosaic may no longer press any additional CD's/LP's, but can still sell any sets that it has on hand. There may or may not be reasons (contractual or practical) why Mosaic does not or can not stock up on a particular set (by pressing X additional copies) just before the pertinent deadline.

Of course, these are merely my thoughts, and I could be dead wrong. I would love to hear a definitive answer from someone in the know.

GA, you have made an excellent point, IMO...I felt a bit funny getting Curtis Fuller, and Woody Shaw when they were at last chance, I didn't want to take one out of the waiting hands of someone who really wanted a copy, but I did think, hey give 'em a chance,(Plus they were cheap sets!) and if you don't like them, it's not like I will lose the money I spent on them! Well, turned out I liked the Fuller set, and even though the style of the music Woody and his group played, is not my cup of tea, I got to hear him, and find out what a fine set of chops he had...will check out more early Woody down the road because of this set.....Still have both sets today. Now, if they start pushing $200 someday... B)

But, trying to get back to the main point, if people invested in Mosaic sets early on, more might get printed over the years, helping Mosaic's bottom line, and giving more jazz fans the chance to own a Mosaic down the road! Sounds like a win/win situation.....

The logical conclusion would be that they then destroy the books and any cds leftover.  If that's the case how come there have been some partials left over.

I'm guessing that Mosaic keeps a certain number of loose parts to cover the need for replacing CDs which might turn out to be defective. They might also want to accommodate purchasers who, after some time, might accidentally damage or destroy a CD or booklet and have need for a replacement.

I'm guessing that Mosaic keeps a certain number of loose parts to cover the need for replacing CDs which might turn out to be defective.  They might also want to accommodate purchasers who, after some time, might accidentally damage or destroy a CD or booklet and have need for a replacement.

That's exactly what happens. Someone at Mosaic told me so a few years ago.

Edited by J.A.W.