Yes (the band) Reissues

Aftab

I bought the Rhino Remaster of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and must say I was impressed. :tup

It is quite an improvement over previous Western remasters (I can't speak for anything available in Japan), as are all the other reissues from the excellent Rhino Yes series. "Tales" especially benefits because it sounded a bit muddy on CD in the past.

The first track has an extended introduction on the new remaster CD. Is it any good?

I haven't upgraded any of my Yes CDs yet, but this might be a reason for me to do so...

By the way: Drama is awesome!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I can't believe this thread got dredged up from 3+ years ago - cool!

I just listened to Fragile this past weekend on a long road trip - that's the first Yes I've listened to in a while, and I had forgotten how much I loved that album.

Don't throw stuff at me, but I dig Big Generator, Talk, some of Union, and the ABWH stuff, too. Saw the ABWH tour at a racetrack outside of Syracuse NY - mindblowing to say the least.

After many years of listening to Yes, I've finally decided that my favorite album is the very first one. I really like Peter Banks jazzy guitar leanings and the choice of cover tunes is intriguing.

h94611b223h.jpg

The remaster from a few years ago sounds excellent.

yes pete banks is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock/ he has always been screwed over and never broke through to major major success, but he is a legend::::

be sure to get the 1st record by his solo band FLASH

also be sure to get TWO SIDES OF PETER BANKS- which also THREE guitarsists on it: pete+ steve hackett +jan akkerman, rhythm sect. is john wetton and phil collins//this lp is the closest thing you can get to like a yes+genesis hybrid...search for it!

also be sure to get TWO SIDES OF PETER BANKS- which also THREE guitarsists on it: pete+ steve hackett +jan akkerman, rhythm sect. is john wetton and phil collins//this lp is the closest thing you can get to like a yes+genesis hybrid...search for it!

Hmmm....Wetton never played in either group. Bruford did. :rfr

did i SAY wetton played in either group? no- but i still stand by my original analysis

and bruford is a complete charlatan. i was just listening to him w/ genesis in 76: its so sad they couldn't get chester a year earlier-- bruford really took away from the 'genesis sound'- he didn't RUIN the music, but it was the not least 'tightest' they ever sounded w/ him

Bruford just isn't the right drummer for any band.

:rfr

I always liked his playing with King Crimson.

I think 7/4 meant "every band", not "any band".

FWIW, though he probably wouldn't have fit in with Zep due to his busy style, he and Bonham did share a certain kind of groove. Yes's music became less interesting rhythmically after he left.

Guy

I sold the only two Yes albums I ever owned when I graduated from Tulane University in 1976.

I have never missed them, as they came up with some of the worst rock lyrics of all time and their supposedly progressive rock style failed to develop into anything meaningful for me.

It seems weird to me that someone would object to Yes on the basis of their lyrics. I mean, yeah, if you try to take them literally/at-face-value then they come off as goofy, but this criticism seems to be off the mark. Would we take seriously similar criticism directed at scat singing?

Guy

I sold the only two Yes albums I ever owned when I graduated from Tulane University in 1976.

I have never missed them, as they came up with some of the worst rock lyrics of all time and their supposedly progressive rock style failed to develop into anything meaningful for me.

It seems weird to me that someone would object to Yes on the basis of their lyrics. I mean, yeah, if you try to take them literally/at-face-value then they come off as goofy, but this criticism seems to be off the mark. Would we take seriously similar criticism directed at scat singing?

Guy

"In and around the lake, mountains come out of the sky and they stand there..."

I rest my case. :g

Guy

"In and around the lake, mountains come out of the sky and they stand there..."

I rest my case. :g

Could it be Anderson is referring to the reflections of mountains as they appear in the lake - upside down and coming 'out of the sky'?

hmmmmm . . . . .