R.I.P. George Michael

Hardbopjazz

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Good of you to do your research so thoroughly before commenting on his life

it was actually 3-4 interview clips, i just didn't want to admit to it (but i kept my finger close to the mute button so that i could engage it whenever music played).

so, he didn't spend the rest of his life complaining about the sony recording contract? here's 2009, 20 years after the fact, a full david frost episode devoted just to that topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvu3IXcPm18

6 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

He wasn't just a shallow Pop star, but an important figure for a community that is always in need of prominent people to champion their cause. IMO, that is the most important aspect of his legacy. 

What do you mean? I know he was caught with a guy in a public restroom, that was a big deal about 15 years ago. I also remember that he was driving high and crashed into a house in an SUV, and did time for that. So I don't know what community you had in mind.

I just view him as a very talented singer-songwriter, not a champion of anything. Was he an addict to the end? Died way too early, no doubt about that.

One overlooked record of his is OLDER. I might just buy it again.

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Wow, being upset over a bad contract. 

I guess both he and Prince were just untalented, whiny babies that don't deserve any respect as artists. 

Did he starve to death for it? Did he make hardly enough money to eke out a living and had to perform just to make ends meet?

Sore about the raw deal he got - yes, understandably so, but he DID make big bucks after this and if it had been on strictly monetary grounds he could have retired quite a while ago and not needed to work for a living even one more single day. So once you've had your say and publicly blamed the ones you find guilty for taking advantage of the fact that you had not realized this business that you got into is a basin full of sharks, how about just moving on and looking forward?

Sorry, but to me this really seems like a case of complaining on a high level. Arthur Crudup (and ANY number of his peers among blues artists) would have had reason to be whining (they all DID have to struggle). And how many "normal", decent, hard-working people out there have been taken advantage of in their lives too which left them struggling for the rest of their days and nobody gives a hoot. So ...?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

So...nobody likes being screwed over. And not everybody gets a forum to vent about it without repercussion. So...carpe diem if you do.

And yeah, after a point, it's like, ok, point made, move on. But still, nobody likes getting screwed over. That shit can leave scars, no matter how well you do in the aftermath of it. It's not for me to tell him to shut up about it, it's for me to just not pay attention any more.

So, I guess nobody should make any more money than I do. And if they do, then they should just keep their trap shut whenever they feel like they're getting screwed over. 

Look, I think lots of people make money that I look at as obscene. But you know what? That still doesn't preclude them from being happy. And if they aren't happy, and want to try to do something about it, then more power to them. 

And if you don't like the fact that they don't like the fact that they aren't happy...so what? Guess who really needs to move on? 

Edited by Scott Dolan

No, on the contrary - everybody is entitled to make as much money as others will pay them in what they work for. More power to them in that.

Jim sums it up pretty well. Complain about it, speak out against those who you feel need to be taken to task for what they did, but since whatever contracts they may have stuck on him probably were legally watertight what does this all lead to in the LONG run? Isn't it really just time to move on after a while, particularly if you really can rightly tell yourself "Whatever I may have lost then, I've more than made up for all that long ago and I have achieved more than enough to be proud of, so f.ck them - this is not going to do me in." Particularly if you have gotten yourself into a situation where you have to fight various other demons anyway, why add to it by scratching those scars that may have been left on you when there is NO need to get them to start bleeding again because you really have "made good" since?  A bit like (probably) comparable  cases where other artists, in talking about their early days, just quipped "Ah, we were young and didn't know sh.t about the business".
Too much down to earth, too reasonable? No, just one possible (and very often essential) PROTECTIVE reaction to guard YOURSELF. Something many of us probably have had to resort to in situations of everyday life that were rather unpleasant and just HAD to be overcome (though it was hard work at first) in order to tackle next day's demands and realities of everyday life. An everyday life we all lead and artists lead too - so how about just managing your life (which basically is just another way of doing something about not being happy with your life)? After all I'd wager a guess managing your life and making something of it that is worthwhile to YOU on a personal level should be a bit easier to start with if you do NOT have to worry about money and material security of your existence anymore - ever. Many, many, many people out there in the world would be more than glad to be in THAT starting position in trying to do something about not being happy in their lives. This is what I was referring to as complaning on a high level. Money isn't everything - far from it, but it will open up almost unlimited possibilities in making something of your life.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The scars from getting screwed over quite often have nothing to do with the money and everything to do with being or feeling betrayed. That's a wound to the psyche, or can be. The money is insignificant, really; the violation of trust is anything but.

Frank told him what he needed to be told, as far as I can see. Far be it from me to quibble with Frank Sinatra about the mental bounciness of success.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Frank told him what he needed to be told, as far as I can see. Far be it from me to quibble with Frank Sinatra about the mental bounciness of success.

Yes that's how I felt too when I read that letter. Be thankful for the possibilities that you have, for what you have achieved and for the opportunity to make something of it. Essentially a matter of managing one's life, in fact.

As for the scars on one's psyche, of course - but isn't this just where the self-protective strategies to build up a shield to guard you against the bad things that can (and maybe will) happen to you that I've mentioned ought to come to bear? Basically a matter of "I've learned my lesson and this won't happen to me again" approach. Some may be able to handle this better and in a more constructive way than others (at least the first time round) but you just got to learn and do it if you value your existence enough. And don't tell me being financially secure (VERY secure) won't make it easier to accomplish this. Which is where IMO things come full circle.

Edited by Big Beat Steve