R.I.P. George Michael

Hardbopjazz

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

Nazi USA's Office of Censorship making its presence felt even before January 20th.

Using the death of a pop star to go all Strictly Political is not going to stand here. You tried once, in response to a bait, and that all got deleted, the bait and the bite both. Continue on this path and the deletions will also continue.

George Michael was a consummate song writer who could write both the sugarish pop needed for the charts and write songs that will endure for a long time. Like so many of us he lived with his demons and due to the "popular" press this became what most of the general public knew of him besides his music.

He was an important figure in the LGBT community in the UK living his life unashamedly which meant  a lot to many, many people. RIP George

On 27/12/2016 at 1:21 AM, l p said:

i watched a couple of interview clips from youtube documentaries. the guy got signed to a bad recording contract when he was young, and spent the rest of his life whining about it. 

Good of you to do your research so thoroughly before commenting on his life

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Using the death of a pop star to go all Strictly Political is not going to stand here. You tried once, in response to a bait, and that all got deleted, the bait and the bite both. Continue on this path and the deletions will also continue.

So we can now call others Nazis and not have our posts deleted? Asking for a friend. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

So we can now call others Nazis and not have our posts deleted? Asking for a friend. 

It would seem that erwbol was calling Jim and/or me (the other moderator here) Nazis for deleting/"censoring" one or more of his posts (didn't see those post or posts myself, so I don't know the details). In any case, one could argue that if the moderators are the targets of his nastiness, it's up to us to take offense at his remark and impose further discipline or to just step around the turd he has dropped on the sidewalk and get on with enjoying all the wonderful things we all have to say to each other.

I've never understood the need to shit on someone's grave, even if they were reprehensible people, which George Michael obviously was not. But at least erwbol took it to a whole new level of shitting ion those who were paying respect to the deceased. Good stuff. 

I think mjazzg really summed up the importance of an artist like Mr. Michael. He wasn't just a shallow Pop star, but an important figure for a community that is always in need of prominent people to champion their cause. IMO, that is the most important aspect of his legacy. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Left the Nazi post up so I could quote it to show the type of thing that we're dealing with in this thread as far as deletions and such. Neither Larry nor I yield a heavy hand here, the rules are clear and we moderate accordingly. Some people get it, some people test it, and still others seem to think that their passion takes precedence over the board rules and that they are justified in just keeping on. They are wrong.

If further deletions become necessary, that one with "Nazi" in it will go with it, as will all references to it, including this post. And if forced, the thread will be locked, which is kind of a drag, because I kinda dug George Michael. I think his RIP thread deserves better than some guy piling on with the wholly unrelated political angst.

george_michael.jpg