• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Ricky Ford “Tenor Madness Too!” Muse cd

This one keeps revealing bits and pieces to me, in part because the muddiness of the sound causes me to seek out little details and in part because there’s a looseness to the performance that draws me in different directions.

[IMG]

A quick search would have found the answer on either wiki or discogs.

March 4, 1989

Sure, but if I would reduce the stuff to wiki search there would not remain anything for me to discuss the music. And no wiki and no discogs can replace my personal history in jazz, where I didn´t read about Ricky Ford but saw him with my biggest idol, or my first idol in Jazz, no one less than Mr. Charles Mingus himself, and really study Ricky´s input in the band. So I might say sorry that I asked instead of having a look on wiki, but that´s me.....

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Another Ricky Ford.
Ricky Ford “Tenor Madness Too!” Muse cd

This one keeps revealing bits and pieces to me, in part because the muddiness of the sound causes me to seek out little details and in part because there’s a looseness to the performance that draws me in different directions.

[IMG]

Followed by

How come Ray Bryant was never the big star some other jazz pianists were? He had it all.

Ray Bryant Trio “Now’s the Time” Signature/Dr. Jazz cd

With Tommy Bryant and Oliver Jackson, 1960

Interesting question: Maybe he was more a "Musician´s musician" and this can be very very important, because it´s the horn players who must feel comfortable with a pianist. 
If I would have been a trumpet player or a saxophone player during that time, I sure would have preferred to have Ray Bryant on piano to a so called "star pianist". 

He is very nice, has a nice touch and wonderful chords and he can support a player. 
I´m no record collector so I don´t have records of him under his own name, but my first hearing experience was on "Miles Davis with Milt Jackson and Jackie McLean", a nice little album from the 50´s or so. Ray is compin´so great and his little piano solos are treasures. 
Years later I saw him live with a good local band formed by vibes, guitar, bass, drums and perc ("Together" was the name of that band), and it was wonderful. So again, I don´t have wiki experiences about him, but have listened a bit to what he did and what I saw him doin.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Sure, but if I would reduce the stuff to wiki search there would not remain anything for me to discuss the music. And no wiki and no discogs can replace my personal history in jazz, where I didn´t read about Ricky Ford but saw him with my biggest idol, or my first idol in Jazz, no one less than Mr. Charles Mingus himself, and really study Ricky´s input in the band. So I might say sorry that I asked instead of having a look on wiki, but that´s me.....

Interesting question: Maybe he was more a "Musician´s musician" and this can be very very important, because it´s the horn players who must feel comfortable with a pianist. 
If I would have been a trumpet player or a saxophone player during that time, I sure would have preferred to have Ray Bryant on piano to a so called "star pianist". 

He is very nice, has a nice touch and wonderful chords and he can support a player. 
I´m no record collector so I don´t have records of him under his own name, but my first hearing experience was on "Miles Davis with Milt Jackson and Jackie McLean", a nice little album from the 50´s or so. Ray is compin´so great and his little piano solos are treasures. 
Years later I saw him live with a good local band formed by vibes, guitar, bass, drums and perc ("Together" was the name of that band), and it was wonderful. So again, I don´t have wiki experiences about him, but have listened a bit to what he did and what I saw him doin.....

Well, I don't ask questions for something that takes seconds for me to discover myself. That's just me. . . I'll generally answer them, but that may change.

Really enjoying this.
Check out the liner notes:

image.jpeg.1898e4d05407b7818ba8e8c1e33f671d.jpeg

Peter Margasak writes:

"The album opens with his take on Ornette Coleman’s ubiquitous “Lonely Woman,” where he maintains the indelible bass figure with one finger, while shaping the melody with his others. He writes that his take on the bridge is informed by the “Preludes” of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos, but such background info is irrelevant if you simply want to bask in the beauty of his performances.

His catholic sensibilities are reflected in the richly varied selections, which underline the album title both as a kind of proposed new standard repertoire or a body of work that’s potentially raw material for a skilled interpreter. Both notions work. He plays “Cohesion,” the faux-flamenco gem D. Boon wrote for the classic Minutemen album Double Nickels on the Dime, which is probably the most straight-forward selection here, with no noticeable alteration from the original version, as far as I can tell. It’s great, but the jaw-dropping stuff happens on a variety of jazz tunes, including three Charles Mingus compositions that he splits wide open, deftly assigning different parts of the multi-partite tunes and orchestral arrangements of the originals for his two hands. Below you can check out his stunning version of “Pithecanthropus Erectus,” where he somehow conveys the rich splendor of the original in miniature. He works similar magic on “Better Get Hit in Your Soul” and “Reincarnation of a Love Bird.” He also tackles Eric Dolphy’s “Out to Lunch,” creating a fascinating harmonic scaffolding for a tune with no fixed chords. He tackles pieces by John Cage, Roland Kirk, Captain Beefheart, Kraftwerk, Sun Ra, Aphex Twin, Fred (Mr.) Rogers, and Alice Coltrane, giving “Journey into Satchidananda” a fresh new perspective. Parish is a tinkerer, the kind of musician who wonders what’s possible and finds ways to make his imagination become real."

Edited by rostasi