Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1m

Kenny Burrell with Art Blakey “At the Five Spot Cafe” 24 Bit by RVG Blue Note Japan LP facsimile cd

Bass – Ben Tucker
Drums – Art Blakey
Guitar – Kenny Burrell
Piano – Bobby Timmons (tracks: 1, 3, 4), Roland Hanna (tracks: 2, 5)
Tenor Saxophone – Tina Brooks

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for your comments.

Here is another one from Verve (original on Norgran label)  which I played recently. Again he has selected nice melodies.

-Trio one with Max Roach

- Trio 2 with Art Blaley

Verve UMV 2571 [Japan 1981] - rec. 1954 & 1955(?)

47629848vs.jpg

47629850ad.jpg

47629849ex.jpg

Hey yes ! 

And the interesting thing is, that a lot of the numbers that is on this Bud from earlier years, later re-entered in Bud´s set lists. 
In France he played mostly bop classics like Salt Peanuts, Shaw Nuff, Anthropology, Ornithology etc etc, and when he returned back to New York, he started to play those typical old American standards again, like "Deep Night", "Black Magic" and "Though Swell" and since those melodies some of them are from the late 1920´s , Bud plays some stride sections on them, 

So this earlier album made shortly before Bud left the States to go to Paris might be an important Milestone. 
And as you know how I get pissed up if the drums are not recorded properly, here you can HEAR Max Roach, not so inaudible like on "Jazz Giant". 

5 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

jack-walrath-live-at-smalls(live)-202403

New release due out soon...

Oh I will have to purchase this. 

From all trumpet players who played with Mingus, Walrath was the best for my tastes. Man, I witnessed those magic live moments from 1975-77 and he was becoming stronger and stronger. I think on "Changes 1 & 2" he still had to find his place in the band, but 1 & 2 years later he was just incredible fine. 

NEVER in live I will forget his strong, Fats Navarro influenced sound on that first latin solo on "Cumbia&Jazz Fusion". I mean the studio version is fine, but the live versions I heard was a bit faster and without the added studio instruments. Or on "Three or Four Shades of the Blues", listen to Walrath´s trumpet. 
It´s interesting that I have not heard so much about him after he had left Mingus. Same with Ricky Ford and Bob Neloms, somehow I remember them best for the days they were my heroes because they were on stage with Mingus and Richmond......

Starting off the morning with some Joe. Just before I pressed play I heard an owl, which always seems a good way to start a day.

Joe Henderson “Page One” Bluie Note Japan Platinum SHM-CD (mono mix)

Featuring the famous “Etc.” (McCoy Tyner)

This series of Platinum SHM-CD sound so good!

3c4d9e0bae1d7a2d072478f590b9b9aafe8d51f8

Another fantastic sounding disc from Japan.

John Coltrqne “Live at the Village Vanguard” SHM-SACD

Music I’ve listened to for over four decades that just won’t get old.

92b871416c0644a8cb33a95107735f89a90cfbfb