• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

In from a discogs seller.

171eb585288d39b81faf48d744e7291e02e360ad

“The Amazing Bud Powell” Blue Note Japan cd CP32-5241 from 1986 reissuing the complete “Vol.1” and alternates in recording order, remastered by Rudy Van Gelder.

Sounds really good! Music is of course phenomenal with many bebop greats on board.

I remember that the BN albums Vol 1 and 2 in the 70´s were quite mixed. I think the tunes with Fats and Sonny (my favourites) were on Vol. 1 , and on Vol. 2 it was mixed with the George Duvivier/Art Taylor tracks and the Curley Russell/Max Roach tracks or so.
I was quite annoyed that I had the quintet sides twice, it was also on the Fats Navarro album. In those days when money was scarce and the need of buying records was high, something like that was a great disappointment of "lost money". 

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

About halfway through this one.

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Been a while since I heard these.

It sure is interesting. My very very first jazz lp was "Steamin´" and I think I knew each note of it and could have sung along with the record......, 
Late I think I had a japanese pressed LP "Blue Haze" and in the inner side of the cover was a paper with little fotos of all of Miles´ Prestige recordings, even the one where he plays piano only on one track of a Sonny Rollins album. 

but let´s say the first version of "Walkin´ " I heard when I was a kid was the fast one with the "second quintet" and I was quite disappointed when I heard the wonderful original track, it sounded too slow and too quiet to me then, because as a kid I wanted to hear Philly J.J or most of all Tony Williams.....

10 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

NzUtNTE3My5qcGVn.jpeg

BN reissued vol 1 on a recent Tone Poet LP. This Doubletime BN CD's got 'em both 👍 Laymon Jackson's playing is a highlight

A wonderful live set, I have not listened to it for many many years, I remember it really swung. But is it possible that on the first track the did speed up and ended much faster than they had started ? ? . 

16 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

NzUtNTE3My5qcGVn.jpeg

BN reissued vol 1 on a recent Tone Poet LP. This Doubletime BN CD's got 'em both 👍 Laymon Jackson's playing is a highlight

That DoubleTime 2-CD set had 4 tracks of previously unissued material too:

Secondary, 2 of 3

You won't get those on the new Tone Poet LP.

Edited by bresna

14 minutes ago, Justin V said:

81e1uZfj6fL._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jp

Although I of course have a ton of Jordan with Bird and a few sideman dates, this is my first leader date of his.  

he was one of the leading surviving bop pianists. He must have had a great time in Europe, but strange to say I don´t remember I ever saw him performing in Austria. 

I prefer records under his name, where horns are added. His style is a bit spare for trio format, that´s my personal impression. He was a fine composer. 
Though it might be true that in the forties while playing with Bird and Miles his articulation was a bit stiff and his comping a bit rudimentary rhythmically, but he didn´t deserve that ugly words Miles said about him. This was unfair and made Jordan´s last years quite bitter. First you should judge a musician from how he developed himself, not only by some old stuff. 
I have a Jackie McLean All Star record with Duke Jordan on piano and it´s titled "Birdology". He is also nice on Cecil Payne´s "Bird Get´s the Worm".

MTAtNDUzMi5qcGVn.jpeg

with Hannibal and George Adams!!!  Good stuff!  I'd somehow overlooked this album until fairly recently. 

The only downer: Less than stellar AQ -- at least on my CD reissue (Solid Japan) -- but the music is so good that it carries the day, regardless.

31 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Although I of course have a ton of Jordan with Bird and a few sideman dates, this is my first leader date of his.  

There are MANY more to discover.  :tup

When I hear Jordan's playing, I think of a dancer who glides effortlessly across the floor.  Everything is fluid and smooth and graceful.

11 minutes ago, BillF said:

51tNwpPDHBL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Yeah.  :tup

Edited by HutchFan

Arrived from cdjapan.co.jp last night, a Helen Merrill recording that has eluded me until now. So glad this one was reissued!

Helen Merrill “Imagination” Lob Records/Solid Records Japan cd

9b064a5017663a5fd3fe2023656c7c4b4876b576

Bass – Hideo Kawahara
Drums – Tim Horner
Piano – Kosei Uchida
Vocals – Helen Merrill

This is a reissue of a reissue I believe, it contains the three instrumental trio tracks that were not on the original release.

Edited by jazzbo

51 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

Michael-Blake-Dance-of-the-Mystic-Bliss.

Michael Blake - Dance of the Mystic Bliss (P&M Records, 2023)
This disc is due for release in May, but I got an advanced copy at his performance at Rizzoli Bookstore in NYC on Sunday. :g

A snapshot of Blake during the performance (with bassist Michael Bates):

20230219-173049.jpg

If you like Michael Blake, this one is rather good (led by Kresten Osgood with Dr. Lonnie Smith): Hammond Rens

image.jpeg.a03fd26e107fbc7864cd7add36f8315a.jpeg

Edited by kh1958

Cassandra Wilson “Jump World” Winter&Winter Records reissue.

231b5033c4dc8021136c5ceb99d185108932c1bb

Haven’t heard this one in a while! From 1990 and sounds like it. No judgment–I was playing Simmons electronic drums as well as my Sonor kit then and thought this cd was very very cool in the JMT edition I had with this cover:

58706e99c5fa35095587cacd0ff77d48c34f1633

71eXOGy8DML._SX522_.jpg

Tate's tone is Texas, but the music is pure KayCee.

35 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Cassandra Wilson “Jump World” Winter&Winter Records reissue.

Haven’t heard this one in a while! From 1990 and sounds like it. No judgment–I was playing Simmons electronic drums as well as my Sonor kit then and thought this cd was very very cool in the JMT edition I had with this cover:

58706e99c5fa35095587cacd0ff77d48c34f1633

Yeah!  Excellent!   :tup