• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

61N53qbvotL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Sounds like a lot of former sidemen I saw in varous groups: 

Gary Smulyan I think I saw as a leading bari-soloist in Woody Herman´s Thundering Herd. I saw Dennis Irwin with Art Blakey´s Messengers, Kenny Washington many times with Johnny Griffin, Dick Oatts with the still real "Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band" (1978 shortly before Thad Jones left for good). Now that I see him on the pic, he looked the same then 45 years ago !!! 

16 hours ago, Brad said:

IMG_4385.jpeg

Since Bird was one of my earliest musical influences, I should have some of his LPs (Savoy, Dial, Verve, the Massey Hall Concert and 3 Columbia albums of live broadcasts from Birdland) , but this one seems unknown to me. The photo seems to be the same like the painted picture of Bird on the cover of the Columbia release "One Night at Birdland 1950). 

I´m not a collector of remainders or false starts or studio talk, but if it is some live set with a good group (not a moment´s pick up with players unfamiliar with Bird´s music), I might buy it. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Sounds like a lot of former sidemen I saw in varous groups: 

Gary Smulyan I think I saw as a leading bari-soloist in Woody Herman´s Thundering Herd. I saw Dennis Irwin with Art Blakey´s Messengers, Kenny Washington many times with Johnny Griffin, Dick Oatts with the still real "Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band" (1978 shortly before Thad Jones left for good). Now that I see him on the pic, he looked the same then 45 years ago !!! 

Like all of us, he looks a good deal older now!

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Dick Oatts.

So here's a recent clip with Smulyan:

Edited by BillF

Harish Raghavan “Calls For Action”

I so much want to love this album. It features two of my favorite current players (Joe Ross and Immanuel Wilkins) and it is very well-recorded. But the drumming just seems so wrong to me, throughout. Maybe it’s because I was once a drummer but. . . just spoils it for me,

a515ee45f218504adaa4cbf9b53ede9dd2ac5928

Followed by

Ricardo Silveira & John Leftwich “Cosmos”

A beautiful album featuring excellent flute from Hubert Laws, in wonderful Adventure Music sound.

15694fd759fbbb791f16be2c93e6f29f3ff9c42b

Ricardo

a394a94a2037bb21c07e64f6041f1930e2c54321