Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OIP.f3i90k9fUt_OTbTSjcHMUwHaGX?pid=ImgDe

I'm finding this 2CD set of Shearing MPS recordings, picked up second hand at Ray's Jazz in London, surprisingly very enjoyable and very well recorded. Time to dig out his Mosaic box again.

Followed by another London 2CD purchase on the 'Sleepy Night' label (whoever they are..)

FRONT.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&w=650

Edited to say that it doesn't play on my CD player. What a crock - back to the shop it goes.

Edited by sidewinder

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

OIP.f3i90k9fUt_OTbTSjcHMUwHaGX?pid=ImgDe

I'm finding this 2CD set of Shearing MPS recordings, picked up second hand at Ray's Jazz in London, surprisingly very enjoyable and very well recorded. Time to dig out his Mosaic box again.

Yes its an  interesting MPS compilation. I am a great Shearingt fan of his MGM's.

46632091tk.jpg

Re Mosaic: Have the early vinyl box:

46632098yo.jpg

46632097ua.jpg

On 11/13/2023 at 5:19 PM, HutchFan said:

Next up:

OS05OTczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Jo Jones - The Main Man (Pablo, 1976)

I fear I don´t have much of Jo Jones but what I have heard is great. 

And like Roy Eldridge he must have been decades ahead of his time. Heard both of them recently on the Mingus album "Newport Rebels" and Jo Jones sounds really like a modern drummer, not that old swing "doof daff doof daff" thing. 
Roy Eldrige is also on this, and I heard Roy Eldrige replacing Diz recently on a later "Giants of Jazz" album, with Monk and all of  ´em and he is fantastic, that "The Man I love" , incredible....

15 hours ago, optatio said:

IMG_20231114_0001 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20231114_0002 (Copy).jpg

I don´t have much of Benny Carter but it seems that he was decades ahead of his time. Heard him often on record in more modern jazz environments. 

This here I didn´t know. Seems to be a top rhythm section. Well, I´m not really accquainted to Doc Cheatham, I heard him featured on that Dizzy Gillespie 75 Years, where he seems to be featured on a slo blues, but it sounds a bit funny to my ears.....