• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3312770014.jpeg

I love it. Milt Jackson is great on those ballads, and I share his love for so called "difficult keys" like Db for example. 

20 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

Good Idea. Have to play "Dig" again. Fine think to blow on it. 
But usually we believe, that it actually was not composed by Miles, but by Jackie McLean and was titled "Donna". It´s a fine bop into cool tune based on "Sweet Georgia Brown". 
I think there´s also "Out of the Blue" on that album, which we played, since it is a nice bop tune based on "Get Happy" so a very nice blowing vehicle you can cook on it. 

I think it is those two tunes that I remember best from that LP, which I think was Miles very first recording for Prestige. 

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Syzygys – The Complete Studio Recordings

I used to play this one a lot when Tzadik was on Spotify a decade or so ago ... when Tzadik came back recently, I tried several times to find it but just couldn't remember the names of the artists or anything (plus I misremembered the color of the cover) ... now resdicovered due the Tzadik posts on the Free Jazz Blog

NP:

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

On 11/19/2023 at 11:43 AM, T.D. said:

It's not great. I wouldn't say lightweight, but it underperformed my expectations. 

Part of it is that I'm having trouble getting a handle on Kako's playing. Certainly a fine pianist, but he sounds highly classical-oriented (he has written a lot of film scores and "composed music") and thus far I prefer other pianistic partners (Satoh, Y. Takahashi, etc) for Togashi.

This (quartet) recording with Kako is better IMO:

MDEtNTc2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

I agree that Kako's music is much more classically-oriented than, say, Satoh or Kikuchi.  Even so, I think he's made some excellent music. 

For example, I like these two albums very much:

Ny02MDU3LmpwZWc.jpeg

NS0zMzUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

I've never heard Colour of Dream -- it sounds like I need to -- or Valencia.