Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I remember you put a gagaku selection from that on a BFT, which is the first I heard of the site.

I often browse the Sublime Frequencies bandcamp page. It's fascinating, but I thus far have just listened online, afraid of winding up down another rabbit hole of recording purchases. 🙄

55 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I remember you put a gagaku selection from that on a BFT, which is the first I heard of the site.

I often browse the Sublime Frequencies bandcamp page. It's fascinating, but I thus far have just listened online, afraid of winding up down another rabbit hole of recording purchases. 🙄

Actually, the BFT cut wss from their collection of earliest Japanese 78s. This set is from India. And covers a bit bigger of a period.

It's edutainment at it's finest!!! 

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ni0xMDI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

CD compiles two of Coltrane's Prestige LPs: Traneing In and Soultrane, both tenor-plus-rhythm dates with Red Garland, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor

Looks fascinating.  Both music & book.

I think this was a double LP from Prestige as there were many in the 70´s . 

Trane´s version of "Stardust" is on of the greatest ballad performances I ever heard. Not only Trane who anyway is one of the greatest musicians of the 20´s century, but also Red Garland´s solo and that wonderful bowed solo by Paul Chambers. And if I remember right, there is that fine version of "Good Bait" on it, as well as "Don´t talk about me", right? 

I don´t remember all the tracks, but I remember those three as some basic learning examples for my own musicial developement. 

29 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think this was a double LP from Prestige as there were many in the 70´s . 

Yes, I have the CD version, but it was first issued as a 2-LP set in 1972.

And if I remember right, there is that fine version of "Good Bait" on it

Yep.

Trane´s version of "Stardust" is on of the greatest ballad performances I ever heard. Not only Trane who anyway is one of the greatest musicians of the 20´s century, but also Red Garland´s solo and that wonderful bowed solo by Paul Chambers.

Coltrane's "Stardust" is on a different 1970s 2-fer titled (appropriately enough) The Stardust Sessions.  I only know because I also have this album in my collection.  ;)

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I can't find this anywhere! Are these previously issued recordings or new ones, and where can I find it? Many thanks!

This is a special  & limited edition to be ordered from Ken Poston at The LA Jazz Institute. Price was around 100 USD prepaid.

All tracks are commercially unissued and from the intern archive of the LAJI.

Hope this helps?

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Coltrane's "Stardust" is on a different 1970s 2-fer titled (appropriately enough) The Stardust Sessions.  I only know because I also have this album in my collection.  ;)

´cause you mention it and you must be right: 

I think I even have the CD or LP of "Stardust". 

It seems it was not only the tune, but the album´s title too. 

But you know....I have certain tracks in my mind and hear `em in my head rite now while I write this, but I never know exactly to what album it belongs, even if I have the personnel in my head. 
I hear something that might have been a milestone in my developement but that´s all. 

The only thing I sure know is that I like his 50´s session more when Philly Joe Jones is on drums. Art Taylor was a wonderful guy and a very very fine drummer, but nevertheless the non plus ultra of his time, I mean pre-Tony Williams, pre Elvin Jones would be Philly J.J. for me. 

Still in heavy rotation at my house:

OS0yNTU2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Tamba Trio (RCA Brazil, 1975)
So groovy & musical.  Luíz Eça should be more well-known in jazz circles.  (Although you could probably say that about half the musicians in this thread. ;))

Also:

NjUtODE4NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Larry Willis - Sanctuary (Mapleshade, 2003)
A terrific album.  Larry Willis' musical spirit often reminds me of Bobby Hutcherson's.  Both men have a similar soulful sophistication, warmth, and openness.

Edited by HutchFan