• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Grant Green “Am I Blue?” US RVG Blue Note cd

This one gets little love, but I really do like it myself.

2027851d46707f115cc67b60aac265afaa272877

I know, that it gets little love, but I can say there is certain occasions where I like to hear it, especially very very late at night. The title track is just fantastic and really has that after hour feeling. 
Usually I listen to recorded music always after midnight, and sometimes, when I don´t want to hear more loud and rhythmic stuff , you know there is nights where you just are in that mood, you love it. 

I forgot how interesting this album is. Poindexter and Ervin are great front line sharers here, and my one complaint is that Al Gray is not on every track on this disc.

This edition from Japan does not have the extra material on the US cd (which was not part of this session).

Pony Poindexter and Booker Ervin “Gumbo” Prestige Japan lp facsimile cd

Followed by
“Fats Sadi’s Vibe” Fresh Sound cd

I don’t have too much Fats outside of the Clark Boland Big Band and small group sides, so this is a welcome compilation.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I know, that it gets little love, but I can say there is certain occasions where I like to hear it, especially very very late at night. The title track is just fantastic and really has that after hour feeling. 
Usually I listen to recorded music always after midnight, and sometimes, when I don´t want to hear more loud and rhythmic stuff , you know there is nights where you just are in that mood, you love it. 

I generally listen to music most in the early hours of the morning as I wake up early with the dog and squeeze in three hours or so before my wife awakens. To me it doesn't matter what I play during these hours and there's not a "right time" for an album for me. . . but I've been retired over fifteen years now and there's fewer hours when something is significant for me in the way when I had a working schedule.

Even though I had more hours to lisen in the years before my wife retired this year. . . I never have had enough time to listen and enjoy my stereo systems. What would our lives be without music, creating (I do vanishingly less of that as time goes by) and listening!

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Regarding "Am I Blue", I haven't spun it in a long while so maybe it's time to give it another chance. I remember it being kinda  boring. More like "Am I Stoned" than "Am I Blue". I like slow blues & I love ballad albums, so it's not that. Like I said, I'll have to give it another listen. I do remember being disappointed in Joe Henderson's playing the most.