• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

From what period is that ? Once, at a late friend´s place he spinned some Rollins playing standards like Afternoon in Paris, and some other standards and bop tunes, with a rhythm section that seemed to have been "borrowed" from Miles. Sounded very good. Is this from the same session. 

I´m quite uninformed about many labels, but RCA always seemed a bit strange to me. It seems they never had something like their "house artists", like let´s say there were the BN artists, the Prestige artists, Impulse of course, Verve for more mainstream jazz et cetera . 
But RCA always pop´s up here and there: Blakey, who was a BN artists, made "Plays Lerner and Lowe" for RCA, Bud, who was first a Verve and than BN artist, made two very very strange albums for RCA, and here Sonny Rollins. 

13 hours ago, mikeweil said:

OTktMjY2Ni5qcGVn.jpegNC0yMDA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

I think I remember I must have this somewhere, but I doubt I spinned it more often than once. As much as I remember mine had or still has a little different cover and might have been titled "Byas and the Girls". 

I think the only Byas I had and that was a gas and was spinned over and over again was that "Black Lion" album with Anthropology on it. 

The "Byas and the Girls" sounded outright tame to me in comparation to "Anthropology" or the "Savoy Sessions" (I think this is the other Byas I have ). 

Maybe I should give it a try again. I´m not too familiar with them girls. Mary Lou Williams it seems I have read a lot about here, but more in the way that she was a maternal figure who tried to help many strung out guys, and that she was into some kind of religion.....

4 hours ago, Joe said:

image.jpg?c=5nXzjb514aQ9E0A1rUNq7lWnbEN5

image.jpg?c=9az-FFKhGJ9qzchwCBlSxg4Q1ghY

image.jpg?c=khS4PdG0lAzelH1e5fdYi4Af7E_1

Those many many Grant Green albums, I think I might listen again to one of them. I think the one I loved most was some that was titled after a Rollins composition. "Solid" maybe ? 
But I was always astonished about those numerous albums that were under a certain motto, like one is with soul, one is with spirit, one with latin, one even with western and so on. "Music for all occasions", was that how Lion and Wolff wanted to sell his records ? 

Ah, there is another I love, quite untypical for me it has a Beatles Tune but I love it, or my wife likes it more than other "jazz". But I don´t remember if it was under Hank Mobley´s or Grant Green´s name. 

Oh, and there was one with a no horn frontline, with Green, Hutch, and ah..... an organ player.....

The Philly J.J. I remember I saw the cover, it was Galaxy, right ? Somehow it was almost impossible to purchase them, if you didn´t purchase them when they came out. Same with the Red Garland albums for that label. It seems that many former Miles sidemen from the first quintet recorded for that 1970´s label, too bad they seem to be OOP. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

From what period is that ? Once, at a late friend´s place he spinned some Rollins playing standards like Afternoon in Paris, and some other standards and bop tunes, with a rhythm section that seemed to have been "borrowed" from Miles. Sounded very good. Is this from the same session. 

I´m quite uninformed about many labels, but RCA always seemed a bit strange to me. It seems they never had something like their "house artists", like let´s say there were the BN artists, the Prestige artists, Impulse of course, Verve for more mainstream jazz et cetera . 
But RCA always pop´s up here and there: Blakey, who was a BN artists, made "Plays Lerner and Lowe" for RCA, Bud, who was first a Verve and than BN artist, made two very very strange albums for RCA, and here Sonny Rollins. 

Sonny's RCA period (obviously :) ), 1962-1964. Particularly, the "The Standard Sonny Rollins" sessions were spread all over June and early-July 1964.

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

Sonny's RCA period (obviously :) ), 1962-1964. Particularly, the "The Standard Sonny Rollins" sessions were spread all over June and early-July 1964.

oh, shame on me, that means that his RCA period really spanned over at least two years. And I realized that the first album of Sonny - Cherry was done for RCA, I had known only the live albums of that group in Europe, but must have heard the original at some friends place. You know, others collect, you hear it at some place...... 

But I remember at some other´s friend´s place, who was the pioneer of Austrian Free Jazz, there was the Rollins from maybe 1964 or was it 1966, anyway something with Hancock and Tony, that´s where my musician friend told me that Sonny had borrowed Miles men when Miles had to lay out due to illness.....

I remember with those free jazz only guys it was also that way, that they stated they don´t play and won´t play regular stuff, not even C-Jam Blues. They wanted me to join them, but I did understand free only as a thing that grew out of let´s say C-Jam blues. So I had to say no......, I´m too deeply rooted in forms of jazz....

39 minutes ago, soulpope said:

❤️Ron Mathewson❤️ ....

Indeed. He features a fair bit on 'Jazz In Britain', not least because his wonderful tape archive was bequeathed to them.

'No Blues - Live at the Hopbine 1965' actually captures Mathewson's first appearance with Tubby Hayes. He slotted in immediately, to Tubby's surprise (not knowing who he was).

Edited by sidewinder

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Indeed. He features a fair bit on 'Jazz In Britain', not least because his wonderful tape archive was bequeathed to them.

'No Blues - Live at the Hopbine 1965' actually captures Mathewson's first appearance with Tubby Hayes. He slotted in immediately, to Tubby's surprise (not knowing who he was).

One of the true "bass masters" for sure ....

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh, and there was one with a no horn frontline, with Green, Hutch, and ah..... an organ player.....

Perhaps you're thinking of this (fine) LP? 

Galaxy was not always well-served in the CD era, alas. That PJJ date features Ira Sullivan, which made it something of an instabuy for me.