Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Joe said:

Perhaps you're thinking of this (fine) LP? 

Galaxy was not always well-served in the CD era, alas. That PJJ date features Ira Sullivan, which made it something of an instabuy for me.

Yes, the "Let ´em roll" is what I was referring to. I didn´t remember the title, but remember the cover now. Sometimes I listen to it in the little hours of a hot summer night, that´s where it fit´s for me. 

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

followed by

Primary

I don´t know what the first album is, but "Our Man in Jazz" I must have heard at someone´s place. It seems to be the foundation for that fantastic European Tour that formation did afterwards, with Cherry, Grimes and Higgins. It´s interesting that all those three were linked to avantgarde jazz , but Sonny didn´t make the "step beyond" and kept playing standards in swing rhythm, but a bit more "open" than with a piano player. 
So I think Sonny had "flirted" a bit with avantgarde rooted players, but other than Trane he didn´t go into free jazz. 

39 minutes ago, soulpope said:

R-8786326-1468750276-9275.jpg

One more gem from the  "East Wind Masters Collection 1000" reissue series from 2015 .... 

That and the 'To Duke With Love' album are superb. Can't go wrong with the classic Cedar Walton Trio.

Spinning CD1 of the new Mosaic - 'Classic Don Byas Sessions 1944-46'. Musically very strong and in excellent sound. A winner !

WSQ - Yes We CanWSQ_Yes_We_Can.jpg.a0df1aabcfe4935e36393e5d0296aad2.jpg

I didn't bother with later WSQ records for years, but these days I actually possibly like them more than the earlier classics.

They're not as conceptual and they're not as deep, but they make up for it by maxing out the soul, and letting Bluiett really anchor the thing. 

James Carter is surprisingly excellent on this. I'm with the forum consensus that regards him as decent but gimmicky, but the WSQ is clearly a good place for him.