Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somewhere after midnight I had heard Max Roach´s "In the Light" 

I had seen Max Roach live on several ocasions, he is one of my idols. 

This quartet must have been around the 80´s, since I had seen them once with Reggie Workman and Billy Harper, and the next time which was in the 80s they were replaced by Odean Pope and Calvin Hill. 

Here they play standards, but how they play ´em, that´s important. 

I love so much to hear the sound of Max´s drums, his cymbals, it´s great. 

Download.jpg

Tuba Skinny – Owl Call Blues

R-7425722-1441281916-9684.jpg.c9797ccf140c0ef251091f1d553af8db.jpg

For whatever reason, I am enjoying this a lot more than other Tuba Skinny records, which normally strike me as infuriatingly ersatz. The kids have accurately identified it as 'Princess and the Frog music', so at least they've hit that target of authenticity.

Cold this morning. To be honest the system sounds best when the ambient room temperature is a bit lower.

Started off with disc one of the new Blu-Spec CD2 of Miles Davis “Black Beauty.” Wow. Over the years I’ve become more accustomed to the way this is recorded (especially the first quarter) and appreciative of the raw energy and the early interpretations of some of this material. Fascinating, churning sounds.

On to something different.Pulled this from the shelves and it is drawing me in as Fiona the dachshund settles down. Great sounding disc of warm bouncy music.

Magos Herrera “Distancia”

5ac284f82fb5696847aafb57240c887b4ed8773e

On 1/2/2024 at 2:40 PM, Niko said:

OC00Njg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Bobby/Billy/Brasil for the fourth time today, Getz/Gilberto calls, Dixieland answers... it's just enjoyable music, those Bossa backgrounds couldn't hurt a fly and I can easily listen to Hackett and Butterfield duetting all day 

Two of my favorites together!  I have never heard (or heard of) this.

I spend most of my time off-the-grid: no internet, no electricity.  But I'm on my annual trip to on-the-grid Malaysia.  So what have I got?  No LPs, no CDs, no Spotify (does that still exist?).  Nope, from this computer,  I can access the couple-dozen MP3 files I own.  Organissimo Christmas music and downloads of albums "bought" (?) through Kickstartr.

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Wonderfully done set.

Ok, that does it. After decades of getting by with some Decca LPs and other sorts of partial gap-fillers, I finally went ahead and got this. Wanting to hear more of the early Braud/Greer hookup and this seems like this is gonna be it for this subset of same. 

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

One of the best Thelonious Monk homages .... ever .... worth the ticket of entry for the bass performance of Andy Gonzalez alone .... but there is much more to admire .....

Agreed!  :tup  Much love is also due to the amazing Larry Willis on piano.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Percussion_Bitter_Sweet.jpg

Awesome.

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, that does it. After decades of getting by with some Decca LPs and other sorts of partial gap-fillers, I finally went ahead and got this. Wanting to hear more of the early Braud/Greer hookup and this seems like this is gonna be it for this subset of same. 

You will not regret it.  :)

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Percussion_Bitter_Sweet.jpg

Not sure why (other than some form of blacklisting, and you never know on way or the other) but this one seemed to go out of print and then STAY out of print until this CD, whereas It's Time stayed in print seemingly forever and going through a few shades of cover tint along the way.

This seems counter-intuitive to me in several ways?