• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being in the room (or on the bandstand!) when that room is dancing to the live music is an exquisite interaction with the music.

I have to thing that being able to dance along in a hard-wired way. Me, that's something I will never know.

Most visceral example of that I've experienced was at a Celia Cruz/Sonora Matanzera "concert" in a vacant grocery store warehouse that had been set up for about 50/50 seating dance floor (seating in the back) There was a local band that played while the crowd came end and got seated and got drinks and all that, pretty sedate. And then the MC came out and did the MC blah-blagh, nothing moved.

Then, the downbeat.

I kid you not, there was an audible WHOOSH as the tables emptied in unison and in a literal matter of seconds, there it was - packed dancefloor and grooving band, each feeding the other, on and on for the rest of the night.

No record alone can replicate that synergy! 

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Being in the room (or on the bandstand!) when that room is dancing to the live music is an exquisite interaction with the music.

I have to thing that being able to dance along in a hard-wired way. Me, that's something I will never know.

Most visceral example of that I've experienced was at a Celia Cruz/Sonora Matanzera "concert" in a vacant grocery store warehouse that had been set up for about 50/50 seating dance floor (seating in the back) There was a local band that played while the crowd came end and got seated and got drinks and all that, pretty sedate. And then the MC came out and did the MC blah-blagh, nothing moved.

Then, the downbeat.

I kid you not, there was an audible WHOOSH as the tables emptied in unison and in a literal matter of seconds, there it was - packed dancefloor and grooving band, each feeding the other, on and on for the rest of the night.

No record alone can replicate that synergy! 

Celia Cruz & Sonora Matanzera!  I wish I could've been there to hear & see THAT!  Sounds like that grocery warehouse was transformed into The Palladium. 

😊

Pretty much, except it was Dallas!!!

Additional bonus was Chocolate in the trumpet section and as trumpet soloist!

Dallas at the time (late 1970s) was mostly a Tejano, Cumbia, and Ranchera town, but Celia Cruz was huge in pretty much all Spanish-language markets and besides, Dallas had enough a Caribbean population to represent.

Thing is, the show had ZERO "crossover" marketing. So it wasn't like the widely marketed Eddie Palmieri "Latin-Jazz"  concert of a while back which really WAS a concert, booked into in an auditorium, where the portion of the audience who came to listen was perplexed by the portion of the audience who came to dance, and attempted to do so in the aisles of the auditorium. 

Dance is essential! 

7 hours ago, bresna said:

I'm kinda bummed that Wallace retired before I got a chance to see him perform live. I don't think he came through Boston many times though.

I think he was very much en vogue in the late 70´s or early 80´s, since they spinned his record with Monk Tunes very often in the joint that was our "musicians´s homebase" during that time. 
I remember some stuff but as LPs usually where spinned there (the defunct "Jazz Spelunke"), I didn´t buy it. I have not heard much about him later but might look for some tracks of Monk Tunes he played....

13 hours ago, BillF said:

charlie-parker-lullaby-in-rhythm-lp-vg-g

I think I have this, or is it a Musidisc I have, or I have the musidisc and the Spotlite or they are two different records. 

Anyway I think on each of them there is the complete "Bands for Bonds" material, I mean Bird, Diz or Fats, Lennie Tristano and so on. 

I think on one is a complete live set with Bird´s band with Red Rodney and Al Haig on Side B, and the other has some private material. 

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

cover.jpg

I think there was so many Prestige albums where Coltrane played, as well as a leader as well as a sideman. 
I must have this but for some uncertain reason if I spin a Prestige track of Trane it is always the "Stardust" and the "Good Bait", I don´t know why I have such a preference for those two, maybe because Stardust is one of the best ballads, and Good Bait is also a more extended track of that old bop tune. 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think there was so many Prestige albums where Coltrane played, as well as a leader as well as a sideman. 
I must have this but for some uncertain reason if I spin a Prestige track of Trane it is always the "Stardust" and the "Good Bait", I don´t know why I have such a preference for those two, maybe because Stardust is one of the best ballads, and Good Bait is also a more extended track of that old bop tune. 

"Traneing In", "Soultrane" and "Settin´ the Pace" are myfavourite Coltrane on Prestige recordings documenting (t)his transitional period .... btw backed by a superb traditional Rhythm Section .....

Just now, Quasimado said:

R-2936509-1308098257.jpeg.jpg

I love it and have it as an LP, but with another cover, big cover photo of Tadd . 

"On a Misty Night" is my favourite track. I heard Pharoah Sanders do it live. 

And I performed it last spring at Porgy´s . 

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

"Traneing In", "Soultrane" and "Settin´ the Pace" are myfavourite Coltrane on Prestige recordings documenting (t)his transitional period .... btw backed by a superb traditional Rhythm Section .....

They all fine allthough I don´t know which is which. But I´m sure I have heard a lot of those tracks, and some very fine Trane also on albums where Garland is the leader, and some blowin session Tenor Conclave. 

But if I had to choose one album from Trane in the 50´s it might be Blue Trane because I love Philly Joe Jones.