Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I love Kenny Werner and his music.  But goodness gracious that's a wretched album cover . . . . in so many ways.  I understand documenting the music is the most important thing.  It is. It is. But come on!  You've gotta have some visual standards, don't you?!? . . . I realize that KW may have had nothing to do with the photograph or design.  But whoever did -- Nils Winther or whoever it was -- you can do better!  Kenny Werner and his music deserve better.

You are right, the cover photo is catastrofal. Mr. Werner could have sued them for this 😄. I saw him live in 1980 with Archie Shepp Quartet and he was a smart guy. Here he looks like an alcoolic in the last stage, which I´m sure he is not, as much piano as he plays. 

It´s interesting that he also recorded with Mingus on "Something like a Bird" and it´s strange that he plays Fender Rhodes on that, maybe to please the demands from the record company that wantet Mingus do do more fusion (after doin the album with Larry Coryell doin the next album with Stanley Clark etc. ). But in the context of the straight ahead blowin vehicle based on Idaho, the fender sounds a bit eery sometimes compared to Bob Neloms acoustic piano. 

This is a wonderful recording. Highly recommended to big band enthusiasts. CD edition of 'A Message from The Flying Horse Big Band'

20 hours ago, soulpope said:

419ylqA77hL.jpg

Ed Bickert (gt) + Don Thompson (b) + Terry Clarke (dr) ….the so called "Canadian Rhythm Section" @ George’s, Toronto in June 1975 …. sublime ....

👍

On 1/8/2024 at 9:14 AM, jazzbo said:

followed by
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers “Buhaina’s Delight” Blue Note reissue LP

Far more energy . . . how do the grooves hold it all!

972a1e0e39f486d80439397bcf8a58aac73ffa08

👍

Edited by John Tapscott

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

I never noticed that. I'd  better watch the film. 

It’s often charming and fun, and poignant in its portrayal of adolescent friendship. Quite an interesting cast, with Peter Sellers (in his first U.S. role, I think) as a charlatan concert-pianist Lothario and Tom Bosley and Angela Lansbury as the parents of one of the two girls who are the lead protagonists, both of whom were played by newcomers. (Hayley Mills and Patty Duke were originally touted for the roles but were unavailable.) It’s also one of director George Roy Hill’s first outings. Based on a 1958 novel by Nora Johnson, daughter of screenplay writer Nunnally Johnson, who partnered with her to adapt the book for the film. Elizabeth T. Walker (billed as Tippy Walker) delivers a mesmerizing performance as Val, the girl in the oversized fur coat. (She went on to make a few more movies and was on the late-1960s weekly TV version of Peyton Place, and is friends with our very own Allen Lowe.) 

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

That's good news. I've read Szwed's biographies of Miles and Sun Ra, and I thought they were very good. Happy to hear that he's working on one for Max.

NP:

OTMtOTEwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

Al Haig Trio - Chelsea Bridge (East Wind, 1975)

I saw that movie for the first time on TCM not too long ago.  I enjoyed it.  Nothing earth-shattering but sometimes lovely and sometimes funny.

I first came across mention of the film years ago in an article about Daniel Clowes, who cited it as one of the inspirations for Ghost World. (In the movie adaptation Enid has a poster for the film on her bedroom wall.) 

On the topic of John Szwed, you might also dig his new book Cosmic Scholar: The Life and Times of Harry Smith.

Edited by ghost of miles

8 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Have the vinyl. Any bonus tracks on this CD?

Nope.  Same eight cuts on both the LP and CD.  

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

No bonus tracks .... unfortunately 😪 ....

You beat me to the punch, soulpope.  :P 

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

On the topic of John Szwed, you might also dig his new book Cosmic Scholar: The Life and Times of Harry Smith.

Coincidentally, a good friend of mine just mentioned that book about Harry Smith a week or two ago.  

. . . or maybe this wasn't a coincidence at all; maybe it's Jungian synchronicity, the universe telling me that I NEED to read that book about Harry Smith.  ;) 

Pharoah Sanders “Pharoah” 2 cd box set.

I waited a long time for this to be released and shipped to me. . . and when I finally got it the first disc would not load and play in any of my machines.

I finally got a replacement. Worth waiting for.

dfb9d84328059e84e484be119f826c80f6b8e39a