• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, jazzbo said:
1m

Horace Silver “The Stylings of Silver” Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG lp facsimile cd.

Boy does this sound good this morning.

That´s the album with "No Smokin´" on it, isn´t it ? 

Boy do I love to play that tune,  you just get more and more inspired chorus after chorus and folks love it. 

1 hour ago, BillF said:

s-l1200.webp

I´m not so much a conoisseur of the Woody Herman history but I see there is "Keen and Peachy" on it. That´s based on "Fine and Dandy" and I love the changes, it´s a fine number for really up tempo. Yesterday somehow it came over me to take a run on that. I was sittin´ at the piano to run through the originals we´ll record this week and after 15 minutes I got tired of my own originals and just to let my fingers do some fast action I played "Fine and Dandy" with solos for maybe 10 minutes....really fast, would be nice to romp on that on our next gigs. 

9 hours ago, Joe said:

NjgtMzg5Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

OC04MTY5LmpwZWc.jpeg

OTQtNTQ4Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Valse Hot !!!!! I don´t remember if someone brought that up during the last years (after me comin back on the scene ) , really a good idea for a set filler. I rote a pretty waltz myself, but this one is even more pretty, gotcha do that with the boys.....

11 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

👍

👍

Now:

Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton is okay, saw him with Woody Herman, they had three great tenorists: Al Cohn, Buddy Tate, and Scott ! And don´t forget: Nice lady here on the cover, that´s how I like them dressed up.....

14 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

71edNKBH19L._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

A strange little album indeed. Maybe the only combination of Bird and Sonny, and a rare occasion of Sonny with Miles after he had founded the First Quintet. 
Right now I´m readin the book about Sonny and see that he played on many occasions with Miles AFTER the first quintet, at Bohemia. Too bad there is no records of it, as much as I like Trane, Rollins with Miles might be an interesting contrast. 

Edited by Gheorghe

“The Complete April 1957 Riverside Recordings of Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane” disc 2

The remastering on this set is wonderful. And the music . . .keep revealing details to me listening after listening.

9be1df1431d5f70d0470c1185191433d63aafd11

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

“The Complete April 1957 Riverside Recordings of Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane” disc 2

The remastering on this set is wonderful. And the music . . .keep revealing details to me listening after listening.

9be1df1431d5f70d0470c1185191433d63aafd11

Screenshot-2024-01-15-124159.jpg

Interestingly the European Jewel Case edition (issued the same year aka 2006) has a different cover art .... the European Digipak version has the same cover art as the US release .... but great music anyway ....