• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New project for tomorrow

MjctNjcxNy5qcGVn.jpeg

This 2 lp set was issued in 1981 - 2 lps, 2 performances - one studio and one live. Nine years later the cd issue is only the studio version. A 40 year memory thinks the live version was better. I will listen again.

Anyone here have the recordings or an opinion?

Braxton released another version of “98” on CD about 10 years ago that was recorded right in between those two versions on that LP. Recorded at NDR in Hamburg just 2 days after the studio version and 3 days before the live Bern version. So, now you can hear three stand-alone versions.

16 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Art Tatum / Buddy DeFranco Quartet

R-7046632-1432473041-7397.jpg

Is this the same material as the Blue Parrot boot?

I only have Art Tatum with Buddy de Franco on Pablo as "Art Tatum Group Masterpieces", I remember there is the rarely played "Deep Night" , a tune from the late ´20s, it´s a wonderful thing that record, though for studies I listen more to Art Tatum solo, mostly for ballads or slow medium. Sometimes folks want me to play a solo piece and it´s good to study some of Tatum´s voicings and left hand treatment for some good solo piece though I´m a group player. But Tatum is a source of inspiration. 

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

In from Japan yesterday, and certainly not cheap, but. . . stereo tapes from the Half Note March and April 1965. I’ve never heard these before.

wow, I´d like to hear a 15 minutes playing of "I want to Talk about You" . I think the mid 60´s was a point of departure for Trane, he still did play with his original quartet but soon after that he changed the piano chair and drum chair. 

That wonderful tune "I wanna talk about You".....I have the original version by Billy Eckstine, and Coltranes version from the 50´s but don´t have an idea how he would have played it when he was at the point to switch from modal to free, 

17 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I only have Art Tatum with Buddy de Franco on Pablo as "Art Tatum Group Masterpieces", I remember there is the rarely played "Deep Night" , a tune from the late ´20s, it´s a wonderful thing that record, though for studies I listen more to Art Tatum solo, mostly for ballads or slow medium. Sometimes folks want me to play a solo piece and it´s good to study some of Tatum´s voicings and left hand treatment for some good solo piece though I´m a group player. But Tatum is a source of inspiration. 

It's the same record, repackaged under Pablo. 

Certainly a record that puts the lie to the idea (if it is still held) that Tatum was not a group player.

43 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

“70’s Jazz Pioneers: Live at the Town Hall, NYC”

Haven’t spun this in a while. Enjoying the revisit!

Hey I MUST have this. I´m not a big record buyer, but THIS might be a must for me. All those greats, who were my favourites in my teenager years. Lieb is on of my alltime favourites since I had heard him with Miles. Randy Brecker is very fine on trumpet, Joanne Brackeen I could admire as well with Joe Henderson as with Joe Farrell, Buster and Al ....... if I could have that special wish , i´d dream to play with them two , Strange enough, I never got acquainted to Pat Martino and had confounded him with Pat Metheny who came to fame when he made a record with Ornette. 

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's the same record, repackaged under Pablo. 

Certainly a record that puts the lie to the idea (if it is still held) that Tatum was not a group player.

well this really is maybe the best for group playing. But still, Tatum is my main inspiration for solo playing though I never do solo voluntary but as I said if them folks cry "more more" which they did when the bassist and the drummer were exhausted and the Clubmanager said to me "do somethin´ " I first think about Tatum, maybe a combination of Tatum and Solo Monk, 

This is a two disc set, one Blu-ray Audio, one SACD. I can’t play the Blu-ray Audio in my system at the moment, though it sounds fantastic. (2L stuff always does). The SACD also sounds fantastic and is in play right now. There is Beethoven here. . . some great Schubert as well.

Oslo String Quartet “Minor Major” 2L SACD

minor major (2L-135-SABD) Oslo String Quartet

NzYtODExOS5qcGVn.jpeg

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

More  Carmel Jones in this Mosaic Select set:

46186746jv.jpg

One of my favourite Mosaic Selects.  It was sad when they ended the series.  I have all of them except for Freddie Slack, Sidney Bechet and Johnny Mercer.  

Edited by dougcrates

Jean-Michel Proust "To Barney, Vol. 1" 

I think anyone interested in jazz would love the two volumes Proust has put out honoring the strong influence Barney Wilen has had on his art, and the sound is stunningly good.

BWilen.png?fit=1280,642&ssl=1