• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/23/2024 at 9:26 PM, Peter Friedman said:

61HdBz-Nj6L._SY355_.jpg

I saw Chet Baker the last time late in 1987 and it was the most beautiful Chet I had ever heard, and I had heard him many times from 1978 on. But in reality he looked much more "spent" than on this photo, though he still had that young man´s body, slim and everything, combined with a face of a 70-80 years old . But he played so great, was on time, was very very nice to the audience. 
One tune he played very often those days was some slow bossa titled "Black and White" or something. He also played that old Miles Davis tune "Down"..... such a great musician during all those 10 years I knew about him. 

On that mentioned slow bossa I think, Nicola Stilo, his flautist  played guitar instead of the flute. I must admit, all those flute solos on all those albums, I was not always happy with that.  The flute is not my most favourite instrument. I would have preferred his wonderful trumpet sound with a warm tenor sax or only with piano and bass (he is the only musician that I accepted without a drummer , otherwise I pick up most stuff BECAUSE it has a good drummer) 

Right now, to start the day, some Jobim music. Drummerless reed and brass orchestra. . . very nice.

Stephane Spira “Round About Jobim” Jazzmax cd

35ea379d051fae2211d24a81320be433df32857e

Stéphane Spira : saxophones soprano et ténor
Lionel Belmondo : saxophone ténor et flûte
Philippe Gauthier : flûte
Bernard Burgun : cor anglais
Cécile Hardouin : basson
Thomas Savy : clarinettes
François Christin : cor
Fabien Wallerand : tuba
Sylvain Romano : contrebasse
Glenn Ferris : trombone

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Big John Patton “Let 'Em Roll” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

Sounding so good!

42967c8e6a88c2caef813753cba619aeb8a686d7

It has Hank Mobley´s "Turnaround" on it, huh ? Great line up with guitar, vibe and organ. 
Sometimes I let it sound in the course of a really hot summer night, in the garden with some cool drink and some hip movements to it, especially by Serena. 
We love those nights when I´m not workin and we can make some party just we two 😄

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2024-01-25-185141.jpg

Mal Waldron was on a roll in the 1980`s .... beneath formidable duos with Steve Lacy the sessions with Marion Brown stand out .... btw masterful versions of "Blue Monk" ....

👍 - Saw them live at APEX in Göttingen on April 17, 1988!

Brown-M-55-1_stitch (Copy).jpg