• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pre-ordered this album from Dusty Groove a few weeks ago, and it just arrived:

irakere~~~~_grupoirak_101b.jpg

Irakere - Grupo Irakere (Areito-EGREM, 1976)
2024 Mr. Bongo (UK) CD reissue

Superb Latin Jazz/Afro-Cuban music, and -- since I'd previously only heard it as low-bitrate MP3s -- a GLORIOUS and MASSIVE improvement in AQ for this listener.Β Β Β‘SΓ­! Β‘SΓ­! Β‘SΓ­!Β  :DΒ 

Β 

38 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

A bunch of Black Jazz CDs I got for $4.99 each from Real Gone Music.

Noice!Β  :tupΒ 

Β 

43 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Did you mean "nice" or "noise?" 😹

The former.Β Β 

Merriam-Webster sez:

Β 

What doesΒ noiceΒ mean?

NoiceΒ is a dialectal variant ofΒ nice.

Where didΒ noiceΒ come from?

One of the many ways in whichΒ dialectsΒ of English differ around the world is in the pronunciation ofΒ vowels. In standard American and British English, theΒ longΒ iΒ vowel in words likeΒ shine,Β tide, orΒ sizeΒ is aΒ diphthongβ€”linguistics jargon for two vowel sounds joined in one syllable to form one speech soundβ€”that is pronounced with the lips unrounded. However, in some varieties ofΒ Australian EnglishΒ and New York English and in some dialectsβ€”such asΒ CockneyΒ Englishβ€”the longΒ iΒ vowel begins with the lips rounded, in a position more similar to the vowel in words likeΒ shortΒ orΒ lawn. Thus, the longΒ iΒ diphthong in these dialects sounds much like the diphthong in words likeΒ coinΒ orΒ joy.

The slangyΒ noiceΒ originated out of such dialectal pronunciation forΒ nice.

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

I don't know anything about this guy,
but the selections are choice, strictly rockers!

UK TV presenter

I enjoyed the selection too so thanks for posting it.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

The former.Β Β 

Merriam-Webster sez:

Β 

What doesΒ noiceΒ mean?

NoiceΒ is a dialectal variant ofΒ nice.

Where didΒ noiceΒ come from?

One of the many ways in whichΒ dialectsΒ of English differ around the world is in the pronunciation ofΒ vowels. In standard American and British English, theΒ longΒ iΒ vowel in words likeΒ shine,Β tide, orΒ sizeΒ is aΒ diphthongβ€”linguistics jargon for two vowel sounds joined in one syllable to form one speech soundβ€”that is pronounced with the lips unrounded. However, in some varieties ofΒ Australian EnglishΒ and New York English and in some dialectsβ€”such asΒ CockneyΒ Englishβ€”the longΒ iΒ vowel begins with the lips rounded, in a position more similar to the vowel in words likeΒ shortΒ orΒ lawn. Thus, the longΒ iΒ diphthong in these dialects sounds much like the diphthong in words likeΒ coinΒ orΒ joy.

The slangyΒ noiceΒ originated out of such dialectal pronunciation forΒ nice.

Cor Blimey Guv'nor

Edited by mjazzg

Thelonious Monk β€œGenius of Modern Music Vol. 1” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

078881fdb0df79cd0b633ff914ed08ac1775a31a
Β 
I sometimes wonder: what if Ike hadn't brought Monk forward to Alfred and Frank?
Edited by jazzbo

Sarah Davachi's "Feedback Studies for Percussion,"
a slow, intense interplay of piano and percussion,
Kelley Sheehan's "Acoustic Sourings" with its custom devices
creating static noise against piano strings, and
Victoria Cheah's "Ocean Into Wire," a blend of electronic and
acoustic sounds in a tumultuous yet harmonious dance.

013002.jpg

Edited by rostasi

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273b2f38dfd9117a6356f02dd19

Outstanding music and Cover Art ....

I think I have that with another cover art. Mine has a colour photo of an extremly bloated Bud.Β 
I remember one track from it "There will Never be another You". The way he plays the chords on the theme is what impressed me most. There are so many cats who play that tune on jams, but in a very superficial manner as if they donΒ΄t know the essence of that song. If I have to play it, I try to get some inspiration from that very very emotional version how Bud plays it.Β 

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have that with another cover art. Mine has a colour photo of an extremly bloated Bud.Β 
I remember one track from it "There will Never be another You". The way he plays the chords on the theme is what impressed me most. There are so many cats who play that tune on jams, but in a very superficial manner as if they donΒ΄t know the essence of that song. If I have to play it, I try to get some inspiration from that very very emotional version how Bud plays it.Β 

Screenshot-2024-01-31-083250.jpg

Most likely this one ....

8 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Thelonious Monk β€œGenius of Modern Music Vol. 1” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

078881fdb0df79cd0b633ff914ed08ac1775a31a
Β 
I sometimes wonder: what if Ike hadn't brought Monk forward to Alfred and Frank?

Ike Quebec ? I also have heard that he brought many artists to that wonderful label, though his own recordings are not so well known.Β 

I have all that Monk on BN on my old double LP with the paper bag coloured cover.Β 
Never heard something as great from Monk as that version of "Round Midnight" where he plays the theme and the horns have that mourning sound in the background. ThatΒ΄s a MASTERPIECE !!!!Β 
And the sides with Milt Jackson !!!Β 

I donΒ΄t play ALL of MonkΒ΄s composition , but "Round Midnight", "Thelonious" "MonkΒ΄s Mood", "Epistrophy" "Off Minor", "I Mean You" come to my mind, since we include at least one of them in many set lists.....

3 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2024-01-31-083250.jpg

Most likely this one ....

Yes this one. I had only seen the profil photo of Bud on "Amazing Bud Powell Vol I and II" with that slim young man and wasΒ  s h o c k e dΒ  Β when I saw this one, it seems that he doesnt have a neck. ThatΒ΄s what the enormous input of alcool seems to do to people who drink.......

12 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes this one. I had only seen the profil photo of Bud on "Amazing Bud Powell Vol I and II" with that slim young man and wasΒ  s h o c k e dΒ  Β when I saw this one, it seems that he doesnt have a neck. ThatΒ΄s what the enormous input of alcool seems to do to people who drink.......

This cover photography likely also distorted by perspective ....

This one again before it goes back into the shelves. Disc 1 again too because I didn’t get enough of it before. A very nice live recording of intriguing music.

Jonathan Blake β€œTrion” disc 1

Β 

829b3ce47a4a2637ed4ed9294fdb081b993397be
Β 

On to this one. . . after playing the Blake material makes me realize both how evolved and how consistent the form and the spirit of jazz is between these.

8e96c09c2abf4abe158129c45b3f61734041b917

Sonny Rollins β€œThe Complete A Night at the Village Vanguard” Blue Note Japan TOCJ 24 bit by RVG 2 cd set, disic 2

Edited by jazzbo