So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:

McCoy Tyner “Time for Tyner” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

This together with "The Real McCoy" are my favourite albums of him before the Milestone Years. I have those two and some of the Milestone albums. 
I think the coby of Time for Tyner that I have is also a japanese reissue. I´m not interested in anything but the music itself, but I think those mini-LP-Cover reissues where quite typical for Japan reissues then. They are ok for me but if I would have liked to read the liner notes it is impossible, it´s too small, but anyway, the music speaks for itself. Great drumming on this one. Isn´t that Freddie Waits ? Lesser known than other drummers from that era, but he has it all and as Elvin Jones on "The Real McCoy" that´s what matters to me. And since I am not too wild about classic piano trios, those two each have a congenial partner , here Bobby Hutcherson, there Joe Henderson.....

• Replies 79.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

This together with "The Real McCoy" are my favourite albums of him before the Milestone Years. I have those two and some of the Milestone albums. 
I think the coby of Time for Tyner that I have is also a japanese reissue. I´m not interested in anything but the music itself, but I think those mini-LP-Cover reissues where quite typical for Japan reissues then. They are ok for me but if I would have liked to read the liner notes it is impossible, it´s too small, but anyway, the music speaks for itself. Great drumming on this one. Isn´t that Freddie Waits ? Lesser known than other drummers from that era, but he has it all and as Elvin Jones on "The Real McCoy" that´s what matters to me. And since I am not too wild about classic piano trios, those two each have a congenial partner , here Bobby Hutcherson, there Joe Henderson.....

Yes, Freddie Waits. He and Mickey Roker should get more "love."

Right now. . . on to. . .Something more. . . avant-garde.

Abthony Williams “Spring” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

Sounds great. I briefly compared it to the Japanese Blue Note 24 Bit by RVG LP facsimile cd, and that also sounds great, no clear winner for me in my system. Both are keepers.

5d17beec71886845cf01e0571cd02afbae53ea4f
Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, Freddie Waits. He and Mickey Roker should get more "love."

Right now. . . on to. . .Something more. . . avant-garde.

Abthony Williams “Spring” Blue Note Japan 85th Anniversary UHQCD

Sounds great. I briefly compared it to the Japanese Blue Note 24 Bit by RVG LP facsimile cd, and that also sounds great, no clear winner for me in my system. Both are keepers.

5d17beec71886845cf01e0571cd02afbae53ea4f

Yes, Freddie Waits and Mickey Roker should get more love. 

But at least, Mickey Roker got much exposure as Dizzy´s drummer for many many years. I saw and heard him with Diz from 1978 on, and again at a very special Dizzy Allstars, Diz with Phil Woods, Steve Turré , Cedar Walton, Rufus Reid and Mickey Roker, great thing !

And of course you got me with Tony Williams´ "Spring" . I love it and I love Tony Williams. He is among my very very favourite drummers, 

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse" Blue Note Japan UHQCD box set, disc 7

725-1.jpg

I love that set

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

North Texas State University Lab Band, Leon Breeden – Lab 75

R-1474570-1315667822.jpg.fffeedcaee1cff722e10b82a8e9bc338.jpg

First listen. This is as good as it is said to be.

Never heard of it, checking for it now. It's not too often recordings live up their reputation I find. 

“This was my attempt to link the tradition of Duke Ellington to James Brown.” - LYLE 

Edited by mjazzg

41 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Never heard of it, checking for it now. It's not too often recordings live up their reputation I find. 

“This was my attempt to link the tradition of Duke Ellington to James Brown.” - LYLE 

I think it was an @JSngry recommendation. 

Easily streamable.

9 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Darius Jones: fLuXkit Vancouver (Northern Spy CD)

That was a tough listen, I thought. Not unimpressive but a lot to process. Seemed to figure high in a lot of end of year charts 

I should revisit it.

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That was a tough listen, I thought. Not unimpressive but a lot to process. Seemed to figure high in a lot of end of year charts 

I should revisit it.

Not as daunting as I thought it would be. Challenging, but palatable.