• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/19/2024 at 9:01 PM, felser said:

image.jpeg.ff7c27c6034443fb7294eba3e3ddd7f0.jpeg

Interesting ! I didn´t know about it, but both were doing Europe a lot in 1983. I saw them separatly. Woody Shaw still had his great quintet with Steve Turré, Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus, and the Joe Farrell Quartet I saw also, but it was scheduled to be Chet Baker-Joe Farrell, I think it had Joanne Brackeen on piano....but Chet didn´t appear, so it was only Joe Farrell. 

Atlantic SD 1598 - Gary Burton  "Alone At Last" - rec. at Montreux 1971 Side A:  Engineer St. Sulke   & Side B at Atlantic Studios New York : - Engineer  Lewis Hahn

Gary plays vibraphone, electric piano & organ

43068961hs.jpg

43068963dh.jpg

43068965iz.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Interesting ! I didn´t know about it, but both were doing Europe a lot in 1983. I saw them separatly. Woody Shaw still had his great quintet with Steve Turré, Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus, and the Joe Farrell Quartet I saw also, but it was scheduled to be Chet Baker-Joe Farrell, I think it had Joanne Brackeen on piano....but Chet didn´t appear, so it was only Joe Farrell. 

Chet and Farrell don't sound like a good match to me.  I believe that Chet was pretty erratic by that point, wasn't he?  I love Brackeen's work, and she and Farrell sound like a great team!

9 hours ago, felser said:

Chet and Farrell don't sound like a good match to me.  I believe that Chet was pretty erratic by that point, wasn't he?  I love Brackeen's work, and she and Farrell sound like a great team!

You are right ! When I saw the schedule I also wondered how this would be. 

The whole thing was titled "Trumpet Super Night" and had three acts: First set Dizzy Gillespie All Star Quintet (featuring Harold Land, George Cables, Herbie Lewis and Louis Hayes.... indeed an Allstar Formation) , then would have been Chet with Joe Farrell but turned out to be without Chet. And the last act was Wynton Marsalis (then still doing good contemporary jazz with that good working group he had then). 

About Chet: It would have been better if they would have booked him with his trio, he played wonderful concerts here in Viena and in other towns where I heard him, but don´t forget shortly before this chancelled gig happend, he had done that tour in Sweden with Stan Getz, and they couldn´t together, two heavy junkeys in one band, same with Farrell....., Chet was a heavy junkey, but he was a quiet loner, he couldn´t stand tensions and hassles, that´s it. 

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Stefon Harris and Blackout present “Urbanus” cd

Quite a presentation.

337f7fb1a1a3fa5c7ca4d1e6050e1e452aa49d55

RIP Casey Benjamin. It was a fine band with him, hopefully they'll find a way to continue without him