• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2561184-1292860996.jpeg.jpg

EDIT:
Gramavision was a cool label, and with their roster of musicians, it's no surprise they put out interesting music. . . . Anthony Davis. James Newton. John Carter. Bob Moses. Billy Hart. Medeski, Martin & Wood. John Scofield. And plenty of others.

Edited by HutchFan

14 hours ago, Justin V said:

I remember really liking LeDonne's 'Bout Time with the same trio plus Tom Harrell and Gary Smulyan.  I've seen LeDonne three times, backing Benny Golson, George Coleman and Curtis Fuller, which says a lot about him.

Now finishing:

image.jpg?c=7RBqum9sWw2xr1CvBCqVqwSijaXJ

Freddie Redd - Redd's Blues: I am absolutely befuddled by the so-so reviews of this one. 

I must admit that I  think I wrote a "so so review" once on Amazone. Some found it useful, others not.  My main reason, what left me a bit unhappy listening to that CD, was the drummer. And I think I didn´t like the trumpet sound even if it´s Benny B. and I think the whole ensemble playing is much sloppier done than the other two Freddie Redd albums for BN. Of course the "Connection", but above all the second album, I don´t remember the title of it (Shades of Redd????), which is a beauty, especially the first tune "The Thespian" is a composition of a rare beauty......

Don´t misunderstand me, I don´t say "Redd Blues" is not worth listening, but while on other previously unissued or rejected BN Material I didn´t understand the point, why it was previously unissued, here I can understand that it was not first choice material.....