Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-7171346-1435315153-5811.jpeg.jpg

somewhere in the 80s, Chico Freeman quite unintentionally started tuning into mid-60s Hank Mobley in terms of phrasing and to a lesser extent, tone. Not saying that he cloned or anything, no, but it was - and is - an attractive element in his playing.

As for this record itself...look at it, that's what it is, no surprises there. And if it looks like something you might want, you will want to track it down, then.

Ok, not exactly "turned into" mid-60s Hank Mobley, but definitely adopted elements of Hank's attack and phrase structure. Like I said, not at all unattractive.

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-7171346-1435315153-5811.jpeg.jpg

somewhere in the 80s, Chico Freeman quite unintentionally started tuning into mid-60s Hank Mobley in terms of phrasing and to a lesser extent, tone. Not saying that he cloned or anything, no, but it was - and is - an attractive element in his playing.

As for this record itself...look at it, that's what it is, no surprises there. And if it looks like something you might want, you will want to track it down, then.

What year is this recording? I heard him at the Village Vanguard in 2017; hard to believe it was four years ago. Two really strong sets.

20 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

What year is this recording? I heard him at the Village Vanguard in 2017; hard to believe it was four years ago. Two really strong sets.

2012, on the Jive Music label out of Austria.

It's one of those "enhanced" CDs that's also got two videos on it, haven't gotten to those yet.

To be honest, I lucked into this copy, I had never heard of before I did. Not a "Great" record, but a pleasant one, for sure. It'll probably get culled at some point, but not immediately, by any means!

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-9579475-1483085031-7722.jpeg.jpg

Not according to Sun Ra! LOL!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ronnie Ross - Cleopatra's Needle 

R-496938-1283147272.jpeg.jpg

Enjoying what I can hear of this one. Does anyone know any others by Ronnie Ross or his tenor player Art Ellefson that they'd recommend?

There’s a whole archive thread on Ronnie Ross to consult - one of the board members at the time (Tooter) even set up a pretty definitive tribute site.

Ronnie Ross Thread

My two favorite Sarah Vaughan Mercury LPs, both on one cd of a Verve Select box set. First up is "Live at the London House," which is her trio with several horns featured.

R-2594127-1421899933-2146.jpeg.jpg

The famous "No Count Sarah," which has Sarah fronting the Basie Orchestra with her accompanist Ronnell Bright in the piano seat.

SARAH_VAUGHAN_NO%2BCOUNT%2BSARAH%2B-%2BF

From this box set
1496475.jpg

Followed by
I'm finally reunited with a disc I lost track of, now have another copy, Erroll Garner "1944"

MI0003071414.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Among my favorite Garner recordings, these early performances recorded at the apartment of Timme Rosenkrantz are enchanting.