Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for the Info. The MPS vinyl is here too. It was also reissued on a  MPS/ Jazzclub CD  together with another MPS LP.

See pix pl.  The "Koko" album is missed here. Can you supply some details?. Thanks

43161369oy.jpg

43161374kj.jpg

Yes, those are the MPS albums we had.

The "Koko", see I am not sure it was 45 years ago, maybe it can be the Album "Supersax Plays Bird", I saw the cover and it seems to be similar to the one I had bought. Maybe "Koko" is one of the titles, I remembered it only as the "Koko" album. It was an expensive hard cover Japanese LP. There was also another one titled "Salt Peanuts" and it had some nude girls in a cup of salt peanuts as cover photo.....

Started the day with Les McCann:

Mi0xNTA0LmpwZWc.jpeg

MjctOTg5OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Those Fresh Sound CDs have the advantage of added tracks scattered over compilations or issued only as singles. Cuscuna neglected McCann, reissued only the "jazzier" stuff with Turrentine, but not the trios. The years 1958 to 1965 McCann was a grate jazz pianist with his own, gospel-tinged style, and enormously commuinicative. I'm glad I got me all these CDs before they go oop.

58 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

The "Koko", see I am not sure it was 45 years ago, maybe it can be the Album "Supersax Plays Bird", I saw the cover and it seems to be similar to the one I had bought. Maybe "Koko" is one of the titles, I remembered it only as the "Koko" album. It was an expensive hard cover Japanese LP. There was also another one titled "Salt Peanuts" and it had some nude girls in a cup of salt peanuts as cover photo.....

Koko was on their first Capitol LP:

OC0zODM1LmpwZWc.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, those are the MPS albums we had.

Well I am really a Supersax fan and have most of their issued material. Thanks  also for your explanations which helps a bit to see the matter more clear. Its correct that the mentioned " KOKO" album is the Capitol  " Supersax Plays Bird". The other one mentioned by you   "Salt Peanuts" is also here plus the one " Supersax plays Bird With Strings".

So here they are together with another 3 recordings - Missed the fist vinyl volume with L.A. voices.  However got it later  together with the Columbia reissue  CD-box. They had also a DOWN BEAT feature with an own frontcover picture.

43162134to.jpg

43162135aa.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

On 7-3-2022 at 7:37 AM, Gheorghe said:

Definitly one of his best things. This and Filles de Kilijanjaro are favourites of mine. I remember that ostinato bass figure on side 2, all kids who could hold a bass guitar first tried to play that riff. Me too, I was a piano player but knew the basics of bass fiddle and so if somewhere there was a bass guitar around, I´d play that bass figure and other kid´s would say "wow!" :lol:

:w

Roots & Herbs playlist -- compiled from the Mosaic's Complete Blue Note Recordings of Art Blakey’s 1960 Jazz Messengers:

711xaVvxJ6L._SS500_.jpg

Recorded in February and May 1961, but not released until October 1970.  For those who heard this for the first time in 1970/71: Was it strange to be hearing "new" Blakey music that had been recorded nearly ten years earlier? ... And all Wayne tunes, at that!

and the other/first Blakey Mosaic:

51U5DYZbZ9L.jpg

Edited by HutchFan