Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's a fusion record from the 1990s, with Cobham in his more stolid mid tempo later style. The leads are guitarist Larry Carlton (perhaps too shreddingly fusion for my taste) and smooth jazz great Najee, who is really really good here in a less smooth context. Some jazz tunes on this too as well as fusion.

I must admit I paid attention only to the musicians I know and saw live, (Cobham. Clarke, Deron Jackson). I had not heard about Larry Carlton I think, and sure I have not heard about one "Najee" and sure no "smooth jazz". Thought it´s a solid jazz-rock formation. 

15 hours ago, Justin V said:

71j8nb5Cp8L._AC_SX296_SY426_FMwebp_QL65_

Man, I am so glad I snapped up 6 live Woody Shaw dates during the Qobuz sale.  I miss Larry Willis.  I saw him play 4 months before he died and encouraged him to return and play a solo gig.  He replied, 'We'll see what the future holds.'  What a marvelous pianist!  

Regarding the other sidemen, I hope Victor Lewis is on the mend.  I plan on finally seeing Steve Turre for the first time next month.  I've never seen Stafford James, who might be living in Europe now.

I must admit that I liked Mulgrew Miller much more as a pianist and Tony Reedus more than Victor Lewis. Steve Turré was in the Woody Shaw quintet I saw, and Stafford James was the bassist. That was one of the hottest bands. 

10 hours ago, bresna said:

Schizophrenia (Wayne Shorter album) - Wikipedia

From the first half of the 70´s I was listening to all Miles I could find, the first quintet , the second quintet and the then current electric band of 1973, and did spread my knowledge thru buying the records of the so called "sidemen" also. Schizofrenia was my first Wayne Shorter album and I loved it and still love it, the first tune is a really catching tune, the fast "Schizofrenia" is similar to the stuff on "All Seeing Eye" and there´s a beautiful ballad on it as well. A wonderful album. 

10 hours ago, optatio said:

Shorter-1 (Copy).JPG

I bought this quite late, I think in the early 2000´s when it came out on RVG. After "Schizofrenia" this is about the most exiting, best thing I heard. So much energy, it´s fantastic and the soloists are fantastic, one of my favourite albums of the 60´s.  

I like Schizofrenia and All Seeing Eye much more than "Adams Apple".

14 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1313180820.jpeg

This record was easy to purchase in the 70´s when most 60´s Mingus albums were available on the french "America" label. I was a constant buyer of "America" LPs since they were easy to purchase in Europe and were cheaper than let´s say CBS, BN or Impulse! . 
I bought this one after the great Paris Concert. From the original Mingus band only Cliff Jordan and Danny Richmond were left, so it was cut down to a quartet. I had never heard the name Jane Getz and had thought she might be the wife of Stan Getz. 
The music is fantastic. It´s even more "far out" than the version of Fables of Faubus from the Paris concert. Here it is titled "New Fables" I think. 
The then available America Albums of Mingus, besides the "Great Concert" and "Right Now" were "Mingus at Monterey" (then I thought "Monterey" is the English name for "Montreux" 😄) , "My Favourite Quintet", then the two old albums "Mingus Quintet with Max Roach", and "Chazz", as well as the then brand new  1970´s albums "Pyticantropus Erecturs" and "Blue Bird"......

cover_335457122017_r.jpg

More Wayne - always felt that this one was very under-rated. Almost a manifesto for his compositional approach - and sort of missing link between the ‘Phantom Navigator’ era and the late Quartet.

14 hours ago, bresna said:

Schizophrenia (Wayne Shorter album) - Wikipedia

I think this gem is coming out on the Tone Poet vinyl series. A welcome vinyl reissue.

Edited by sidewinder

Peter Brötzmann & Jason Adasiewicsz - Going All Fancy [Eremite]

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

cover_335457122017_r.jpg

More Wayne - always felt that this one was very under-rated. Almost a manifesto for his compositional approach - and sort of missing link between the ‘Phantom Navigator’ era and the late Quartet.

I think this gem is coming out on the Tone Poet vinyl series. A welcome vinyl reissue.

I played 'High Life' last night and agree, it's a strong album

Didn't know about the 'Schizophrenia' TP, I have the Connoisseur LP so not sure I'll upgrade 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Didn't know about the 'Schizophrenia' TP, I have the Connoisseur LP so not sure I'll upgrade 

‘Schizophrenia’ Liberty was one of the ones Wayne signed for me on the back. Not sure about the others, will have to check. No doubt though I will be tempted when it hits the shops. 

The Conn version I have is on CD.

Edited by sidewinder

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

How is this? A friend of mine was in a teenage black metal band and took the "nom de guerre" Mystagogue. I've always liked the word.

I've liked every Ben Thomas release I have heard and this is among the best--a quintet with his vibes, piano, bass and drums and a reedman playing clarinet and tenor. Bobby Hutcherson fans will dig.

Edited by jazzbo