• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

are you working for the Big Ears fest?

No. I just enjoy attending music festivals, and it's a good one in my opinion.

Based on your recent releases, they should have booked you. Dumb move on their part to not do so.

Edited by kh1958

16 hours ago, kh1958 said:

No. I just enjoy attending music festivals, and it's a good one in my opinion.

Based on your recent releases, they should have booked you. Dumb move on their part to not do so.

Thanks. I think we'd be good for them. But according to the web site you cannot apply. It's like that old tv show about the Millionaire.

• 1 month later...

In June of this past year, I was invited down to Brooklyn to produce a new project for the supernaturally kind and gifted guitarist, Julian Lage.

The album that resulted, Speak To Me, is something of which I am profoundly proud; and as young master Lage will be showcasing that new music at this year’s Big Ears Festival, I had already prepared myself to be in attendance—for the sake of my own spiritual health and renewal, if nothing else.

But then came the notion of staging an additional show while together in Knoxville, on behalf of exploring a deeper collaborative relationship between us; and to that end, I’m thrilled that I will be joining forces with Julian’s trio to perform a set of my own songs on Sunday, the 24th (The Tennessee Theatre), at the civilized hour of 6pm.

Julian Lage may be a new friend to me, but he’s quickly become an indispensable one; a true soul connection. And with my songs in his hands, I can only imagine what his light may illuminate.

Joe Henry

9 hours ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

A lot of "Mojo Magazine" jazz at this festival, one reason I've soured on it. 

I'd be back if they bring Wadada Leo Smith, Roscoe Mitchell, or Anthony Braxton back like in the pre-covid times. 

Wadada was there last year

image.thumb.jpeg.d737e45b20f241da3a370a69900ff2c4.jpeg

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

Wadada was there last year

image.thumb.jpeg.d737e45b20f241da3a370a69900ff2c4.jpeg

Yes, that was an interesting set. Pheeroan Aklaff on drums.

Henry Threadgill is not on the same plane as Roscoe Mitchell and Wadada Leo Smith? He is for me.

Edited by kh1958

11 hours ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

welp, that's on me

😁

9 hours ago, rostasi said:

Tho I'm a big fan of both:
in 2017, Threadgill's performance was a real bore for both my wife and I
and in 2019, Wadada pitched a fit onstage and walked off leaving his audience hanging.

I heard from a reliable source that he didn't 'pitch a fit' (I was wondering about that at the time, too). He had actually finished his set and made an inelegant exit.

BTW, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing multiple Threadgill shows this year. Big fan!

14 hours ago, BFrank said:

BTW, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing multiple Threadgill shows this year. Big fan!

Would love to see him again. Had tickets for a show in Paris that was eventually cancelled about a year and a half ago.