Wynton Marsalis : Magic Hour

Dr. Rat

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this CD and think it sucks. It is almost like "Jazz 101" or "Jazz For People That Don't Like Jazz". The styles are all over the place and none of them are very successful, IMHO.

That's also my impression of this album. It looks like Wynton forced himself to produce an absolute mainstream album for his new label. A jazz CD for everyone, the perfect risk-free gift for somebody whose music taste you don't know. Just as the Norah Jones album.

The vocal track with Dianne Reeves "The Feeling of Jazz" is so full of clichés, as if meant as a jazz demonstration piece for people who have never heard this sort of music.

I really prefer his latest Sony projects. Although pretentious, they weren't compromised to please the mainstream public.

Haven't heard but the three full-length tracks available from the BN website. They pretty much make my skin crawl, to put it kindly.

OK, maybe they're not as bad as that. BUT, compared to how good they try to be, vs. how good they actually are..... .....they really do go nowhere fast.

I think Spontoonious has a promo of this one, if I remember right. Hafta borrow his copy, so I can rag on the whole album with more authority. :P

Haven't heard but the three full-length tracks available from the BN website. They pretty much make my skin crawl, to put it kindly.

OK, maybe they're not as bad as that. BUT, compared to how good they try to be, vs. how good they actually are..... .....they really do go nowhere fast.

I think Spontoonious has a promo of this one, if I remember right. Hafta borrow his copy, so I can rag on the whole album with more authority. :P

:lol: