Kenton!

brewski

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Very interesting ...
Pity that this particular tune is not on the vinyl of that concert of 27 August 1953 released on Duke LP D-1022.

About 20 years ago a gentlemen (from whom I had bought a large stack of jazz magazines that he had subscribed to since his teen days in 1952) offered me a reel-to-reel tape recording of that concert of the 1953 tour that he had attended in Berlin (where he lived at the time). I politely declined because I have never owned a tape recorder or player and would not really have known what to do with it (and besides, I already owned the Duke LP of the concert at that time). But maybe I ought to have grabbed it after all?
At any rate, the stack of jazz magazines also included the concert program from that very tour. Nice ... ;)

I cannot recall having ever caught a TV showing of the German music movie that this Kenton sequence was used in. Although I now see I have the flyer that was available to moviegoers at the movie theaters. Obviously another of those "boy wants to succeed in music and win the heart of his girl" flicks with the semi-plot strung together by music of all sorts ... ;)

46260355bl.jpg

46260356lb.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 9/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, JSngry said:

Every time I hear (or in this rare case, see) Rosolino play a solo, I can't figure out how the hell he did it. I played trombone through high school, and I wasn't bad, but not in my wildest of dreams and with a zillion hears of practice do I think I could have played like that.

It's said that when he was young, Jack Teagarden (whom I couldn't emulate either) couldn't reach all the positions on the instrument and used his lips to "relocate" notes on the closer positions. I wonder if Frank did that too?