MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear MLB,

Do you and your scheduling geniuses give a crap about anything other than the epic Boston/NYY series? Why is it that NOT ONE single game of (World Series champion) Houston Astros vs Cleveland Indians is scheduled in prime time? Not a one. Game 1 is 2pm today (Friday!), and the other scheduled start times (including a Saturday and a federal holiday) are 4:30, 1:30, 4:30 (Tuesday!), 4:00 (Thursday!). I understand ratings matter, but you couldn't possibly let one game (say pitched by a Cy Young award winner or two) involving teams in flyover country start after the workday is over? And I understand there are a lot of games to play in the first round. But sharing of the early time slot, especially on weekdays? Apparently not.

We will get the (statutorily required) fawning about the historic ballpark on Yawkey Way. It is a cool part of the League's history. How about going old school and actually playing a day game there?

Rant over. Back to bullpens. With Cody Allen still lost at sea, and Andrew Miller far from 100%, the question in Cleveland is how effective Trevor Bauer (still coming back from leg injury) can be in a new role. I don't have much confidence in the Tribe pen, even with the (overpaid) acquisitions of Hand and Cimber. Mike Clevinger was a pleasant surprise in the rotation, and he now gets the #3 slot. If TB hadn't been injured, Clevinger would have been the long guy added to the pen. It will be interesting to see how well Clev performs (...and how much help he gets from Bauer).

17 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Dear MLB,

Do you and your scheduling geniuses give a crap about anything other than the epic Boston/NYY series? Why is it that NOT ONE single game of (World Series champion) Houston Astros vs Cleveland Indians is scheduled in prime time? Not a one. Game 1 is 2pm today (Friday!), and the other scheduled start times (including a Saturday and a federal holiday) are 4:30, 1:30, 4:30 (Tuesday!), 4:00 (Thursday!). I understand ratings matter, but you couldn't possibly let one game (say pitched by a Cy Young award winner or two) involving teams in flyover country start after the workday is over? And I understand there are a lot of games to play in the first round. But sharing of the early time slot, especially on weekdays? Apparently not.

We will get the (statutorily required) fawning about the historic ballpark on Yawkey Way. It is a cool part of the League's history. How about going old school and actually playing a day game there?

Rant over. Back to bullpens. With Cody Allen still lost at sea, and Andrew Miller far from 100%, the question in Cleveland is how effective Trevor Bauer (still coming back from leg injury) can be in a new role. I don't have much confidence in the Tribe pen, even with the (overpaid) acquisitions of Hand and Cimber. Mike Clevinger was a pleasant surprise in the rotation, and he now gets the #3 slot. If TB hadn't been injured, Clevinger would have been the long guy added to the pen. It will be interesting to see how well Clev performs (...and how much help he gets from Bauer).

I agree. Cleveland - Houston interests me more than NY - Boston.

I will disagree.  If I had to rate my interest in the various series, its NY Boston, LA Braves, Brewers and Rockies and then the Cleveland Houston series.  I'm sure if you live in the Midwest, that order would be reversed.  Cleveland Houston are teams that don't interest me. Obviously, I will watch the LCS and if one of those teams is in the WS, I will watch that too. 

I don't remember the Boston Braves, but I do remember the Chicago Cardinals!

Bob Greene had a column in this morning's WSJ about the 1936-41 Bees.  My dad from time to time would talk about them.

Speaking of which, my dad saw Babe Ruth's last hit!  Ruth was playing for the Braves, and he hit a double down the left field line.

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. 

Here’s the background: 

Gerald V. Hern was an editor of the Boston Post.  In September 1948 he penned the following:

First we’ll use Spahn, then we’ll use Sain Then an off day, followed by rain.
Back will come Spahn, followed by Sain,
And followed, we hope, by two days of rain. 

The poem was quickly shortened to “Spahn and Sain and pray for rain,” which became a rallying cry for the 1948 Boston Braves.
Edited by Brad

At least the Yankees made it close. But Boston’s put them into a must-win situation tomorrow IMO, and I don’t like Tanaka’s odds against the Red Sox lineup. As has been observed before, he relies on getting batters to chase pitches out of the zone—and the Sox are very good at not doing that, which is why they pounded him in his last start against them. And yes, I know about Price’s postseason woes and his struggles against the Yankees, but just Boston was due to solve Happ, Price is due to have a good outing against NY. I’m just taking consolation tonight in our having avoided an embarrassing first-game blowout, which is where things appeared headed after the first three innings.

Didn’t get to listen to the Houston-Cleveland game, but sounds as if Houston played like a defending champ team that hasn’t lost a step. A couple of weeks ago I predicted to a friend that Cleveland could be the sleeper of the AL postseason, based on the strength of their starting rotation. They’re sure up against it with the Astros, though.

I don't think Price is due for anything but a whooping. The Yankees go in tonight thinking "we need a win bad and this is just the guy we want to face."

If they put a hurting on Tanaka (true they have a collective OPS+ of 111 in more starts than most teams he's faced - though Baltimore actually hits him worse but in six fewer career appearances) maybe they hang in there. But as was just seen, the bullpen differences are huge. 

And with Wright apparently done, so are their chances, whether now or later in October.  Can anyone pitch 8 innings to get to Kimbrel? Can Kimbrel keep up multi-inning saves?  Every f-ing arm coming out of that bullpen scares the crap out of me, which is why I shut the TV when it was 5-2 and went to bed. 

They won a battle. The war is something else.