The Apocalypse Is Nigh

Dave James

14 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

I love the controversy and scorn on display here over a singer singing a song that he wrote. :lol:

Controversy and scorn? Nah. I'm just pointing out that Simon is not badly singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" because it's a song that he wrote. He's doing it out of spite. Paul Simon is just a dick.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

For the big Simon fans who are catching this last ... whatever it is ... is his voice as shot as it seems on this SNL clip or is it just that he never had the voice for this composition, and the ravages of age has rendered him Dylan-esque, and not in a good way?

all I've caught is the SNL appearance (which I enjoyed very much, but with no illusions), I'd have to say a bit of both...a lot of both, actually. He's still got his pitch, though, which I don't know you can say (or could ever say) too much about Dylan.

No matter, he sounds old, not a lot of breath left. And no, he never really had the "voice" for that song.

31 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Controversy and scorn? Nah. I'm just pointing out that Simon is not badly singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" because it's a song that he wrote. He's doing it out of spite. Paul Simon is just a dick.

I find it pretty difficult to assign motivation to others. That’s some tricky business right there. 

As for singing badly, next time I sing it better will be the first time, so I’m not going to bag on a 77 year old voice with high mileage on it for sounding like you’d expect a 77 year old voice with high mileage on it to sound. 

8 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Garfunkel once called him a little shrimp (or something like that) and said he would always be taller than him. I don't think Paul ever got over that...

In the recent bio he's always complaining that he should be happy, because he's rich, talented, has written hit songs, etc..., but he keeps complaining that he's not happy, and has to keep seeing a shrink about it. Then he thought marrying Edie Brickell finally made him happy. Next thing you know, they're in court with EB telling the judge that she can't live with him anymore because he's such a dick...

On 10/17/2018 at 10:16 AM, JSngry said:

all I've caught is the SNL appearance (which I enjoyed very much, but with no illusions), I'd have to say a bit of both...a lot of both, actually. He's still got his pitch, though, which I don't know you can say (or could ever say) too much about Dylan.

No matter, he sounds old, not a lot of breath left. And no, he never really had the "voice" for that song.

Garfunkel's latter day voice is even worse IMHO.

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Garfunkel completely lost his voice a while ago, but claims in his book that he's almost got it all back. I don't know, I haven't heard him in years.

He did a "show" here in Santa Fe in the not too distant past. I didn't attend. Friends who did said his stories were better than his voice.

The"geezers" are out in full force - recent separate concerts in the vicinity by Graham Nash, David Crosby, Steven Stills , Judy Collins. I avoided all of them. I will admit that I'm attending a Joan Baez concert next week.

47 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

He did a "show" here in Santa Fe in the not too distant past. I didn't attend. Friends who did said his stories were better than his voice.

The"geezers" are out in full force - recent separate concerts in the vicinity by Graham Nash, David Crosby, Steven Stills , Judy Collins. I avoided all of them. I will admit that I'm attending a Joan Baez concert next week.

I have to admit that I avoided those people when they were in their prime.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:58 AM, Dan Gould said:

you forgot "singing a song ... very poorly that he wrote."

For the big Simon fans who are catching this last ... whatever it is ... is his voice as shot as it seems on this SNL clip or is it just that he never had the voice for this composition, and the ravages of age has rendered him Dylan-esque, and not in a good way?

Speaking of shot voices, I saw a video of a recent Paul McCartney concert and to say he's not sounding so good would be understating the case.  I suppose he could had an off night, but whatever the reason, it wasn't pretty.  On the upside, I saw Boz Scaggs live a couple of weeks ago.  He's 74 years old and still bringing his A game.

11 hours ago, Dave James said:

Speaking of shot voices, I saw a video of a recent Paul McCartney concert and to say he's not sounding so good would be understating the case.  I suppose he could had an off night, but whatever the reason, it wasn't pretty.  On the upside, I saw Boz Scaggs live a couple of weeks ago.  He's 74 years old and still bringing his A game.

Having seen him in both 2015 and 2017, I can confirm McCartney's voice isn't in the greatest shape anymore. Though he's such a fantastic showman his concerts are still an absolute blast. 

13 hours ago, Dave James said:

In my opinion, he wasn’t sounding good when he performed at Citifield a few years back. 

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

Yeah, I always wondered how those two snot noses would feel when they hit 70. We should wheel them over to a park bench sometime and shoot a video of them, and ask them ,How Does it Fe-el?

To be on your owwwwn.

It's a croaking thing! Old folks with no voices left, they croak.

Although, the fish themselves are truly bizarre. First encountered them while tolling (the fishing kind) in the Gulf with my uncle. Reeled in the line (a five hook spreader) and there were some fish on there that started, uh...croaking. Literally. It was bizarre and more than a little creepy.

Which is not altogether out of line with the impetus for this thread, right? ;)