2018 rock hall inductees

Milestones

What I find funny in all of this is that until Jethro Tull started getting shunned by the Rock & Roll hall of fame, I never even considered them "Prog Rock". To my ears, they were and continue to be simply "rock & roll". Period. How could anyone hear "Locomotive Breath" and think, "Ooooo, that piano intro and that flute makes me think of classical music"? It's especially weird when you realize that many other "Rock bands", even big names like The Beatles ("Sgt Peppers") & The Beach Boys ("Pet Sounds"), did stuff like this first? Why the creation of a new type of rock? Totally unnecessary and in this case, exclusionary. This, coming from a place that considers rap to be closer to rock than Jethro Tull.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had periods (back in college) when I rather liked Jethro Tull -- the album Songs From The Wood was probably my favorite, but there were a number of others I remember semi-fondly -- almost anything in their catalog up through about 1987 was ok in my book.

Don't spin Tull that often any more (can easily go 5 years without hearing a note), but there's lots about them I do still like.

Heard them live once in St. Louis. when I was a junior in college -- pretty sure this was the concert:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jethro-tull/1989/the-fabulous-fox-theatre-st-louis-mo-3bdb0c24.html

I wouldn't mind a bit if they were added to the RR-Hall, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they never got in.

49 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

According to the Rock HOF, this is rock:

and this is not rock:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<

Straw man argument(s).  You're assuming a number of connections that aren't necessarily there.  In my hall, neither gets in (but if either did, they both would).  There are also any number of reasonably internally consistent halls where one, the other, or both get in (and for any number of reasons).  In the actual hall in Cleveland, NWA are in and Tull aren't (yet), who knows (or cares) why?

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

According to the Rock HOF, this is rock:

and this is not rock:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<

If The American Bandstand Paradigm is applied, NWA has a good beat and I can dance to it. Jethro Tull does not.

But careful with that, you be given to and taken from in all The Usual Dick Clark Ways.

Bill-Doggett-Trading-Card-American-Bands

-1020710219247303869.jpg

41e8i3hdpML.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Americand-Bandstand-1993-Trading-Card-Ma

31mGUS2uqEL.jpg

31twOuOrsML.jpg

31gpTcwuAQL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2C

291215.jpg

See the tree, how big it's grown?