What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

7 hours ago, bresna said:

Just last week, I found a copy of the infamous (and expensive) 2-track CD of this recording. This early CD was released with each LP side being a "track" and the tunes of each LP side were an index. Rumor has it that indexes were originally intended to be how songs were to be placed onto the CD but other than a handful of CDs, that never happened.

FWIW, as much as everyone seems to think this 2-track CD sounds incredible, I found that I preferred the Mastersound gold CD version over this. I even did a blind A/B with my wife & daughters and we all agreed that the Mastersound CD sounded better.

Didn't know about the "2-track CD" ....

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was one of the first CDs put out by CBS/Columbia during the earliest days of CD production. It was pressed in Japan with a matrix number of DP35 4 and sold in the US in a longbox.

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, so I bought it right away. I had it for years until the Mastersound gold CD was released, which I grabbed as it was advertised as an audiophile CD. I did this comparison way back then and in the end, I sold or gave away the older 2-track CD.

Truth be told, I am not surprised that this "The 2 track version is best" stuff started over on the Hoffman forums as I believe that the person who started it either has horrible hearing or his system truly sucks, as his opinion of the audio quality of a lot of CDs has always been really off to my ears.

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was one of the first CDs put out by CBS/Columbia during the earliest days of CD production. It was pressed in Japan with a matrix number of DP35 4 and sold in the US in a longbox.

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, so I bought it right away. I had it for years until the Mastersound gold CD was released, which I grabbed as it was advertised as an audiophile CD. I did this comparison way back then and in the end, I sold or gave away the older 2-track CD.

Truth be told, I am not surprised that this "The 2 track version is best" stuff started over on the Hoffman forums as I believe that the person who started it either has horrible hearing or his system truly sucks, as his opinion of the audio quality of a lot of CDs has always been really off to my ears.

👍😎 ....

Such an amazing reclamation project. Bought Tim in 1985 when it came out and bought this on its first day of release as well. I can make a case in my head now for this being as much of a masterpiece as its predecessor Let It Be:

The-Replacements-Tim-Let-It-Bleed-Editio

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

noother.webp

The older I get the more often I play this slowly unfolding masterpiece ....

Speaking of masterpieces indeed… 🥰 ❤️

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Various : Written In Their Soul – Stax Singer/Songwriter Demos (7CD set) (CD) -- Dusty Groove is ...

Finally got my own copy of this wondrous thing, slowly working my way thru it.

Almost got this for my girlfriend for Christmas—she’s a big Stax fan. Have you ever been to the museum in Memphis? Well worth a visit if you’re in the city.

56 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Such an amazing reclamation project. Bought Tim in 1985 when it came out and bought this on its first day of release as well. I can make a case in my head now for this being as much of a masterpiece as its predecessor Let It Be:

The-Replacements-Tim-Let-It-Bleed-Editio

Speaking of masterpieces indeed… 🥰 ❤️

Almost got this for my girlfriend for Christmas—she’s a big Stax fan. Have you ever been to the museum in Memphis? Well worth a visit if you’re in the city.

I have never been to Memphis, but I'd love to go and the Stax museum would certainly be on the short list of things to see there.  Could take the empire Builder to Chicago from PDX and then take the City of New Orleans from Chicago to Memphis and stay in the hotel at the depot there.  Maybe someday.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:41 PM, HutchFan said:

OC03MTgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Rush - Counterparts (Atlantic-Anthem, 1993) 

According to Geddy's autobiography, he and Alex had some conflict while making this record.  Beforehand, they'd all agreed that it would be a stripped-down, guitar-centric, rock album.  When Geddy showed up with his keyboards in tow, Alex got upset.  But they worked through it -- and it's hard to argue with the final result.  Geddy only uses keyboards sparingly, and the music is indeed as "guitar forward" as any of their albums since Moving Pictures.

I especially dig this instrumental cut:

I don't know Rush's albums very well, but I heard this and thought it was really good songwriting and performances

Edited by BFrank

ab67616d0000b2736a3ae8d2ad1ae9b76ea03c8e

The 80`s were not a succesful decade for Soul music .... watered down by so-called "R`n`B" and increasing Rap influences the survivers of the "Disco Yers" had faced times indeed .... but this platter has it all - the songs, the voices and no fillers - and despite being labeled "a critical favorite" the (commercial) success was comparatively negligible .... a great S-O-U-L album ....

Edited by soulpope

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

I don't know Rush's albums very well, but I heard this and thought it was really good songwriting and performances

Going off on a sorta-tangent here, but I just started reading Geddy Lee's autobiography.  His parent's experiences in the Holocaust are harrowing.  He's got a great sense of humor in his writing overall though.  

20 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Going off on a sorta-tangent here, but I just started reading Geddy Lee's autobiography.  His parent's experiences in the Holocaust are harrowing.  He's got a great sense of humor in his writing overall though.  

I finished Geddy's book a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. As you say, it's MUCH more than than another run-of-the-mill rock autobiography.  Geddy is very articulate and insightful. 

On 2/1/2024 at 10:07 AM, Aggie87 said:

Cool. I was wondering about that. He seems like an interesting guy. And he has an enormous baseball memorabilia collection!

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

Their 70's albums on PIR feature an excellent mix of soul, funk and disco .... quite overlooked though ....

Agreed.  "Soul City Walk" was and remains very popular in here in Philadelphia, and "Let's Groove" and the 'Dance Your Troubles Away' album were fairly big R&B hits in the USA (though now largely forgotten), but none of those had any pop crossover the way so many of the PIR groups (O'Jay's, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Billy Paul, The Three Degrees, MFSB, etc.) did during that era.  The Stylistics also did some excellent PIR albums that were largely ignored.  Their big hits were earlier on Avco.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed.  "Soul City Walk" was and remains very popular in here in Philadelphia, and "Let's Groove" and the 'Dance Your Troubles Away' album were fairly big R&B hits in the USA (though now largely forgotten), but none of those had any pop crossover the way so many of the PIR groups (O'Jay's, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Billy Paul, The Three Degrees, MFSB, etc.) did during that era.  The Stylistics also did some excellent PIR albums that were largely ignored.  Their big hits were earlier on Avco.

The consistency of PIR - also based on the quality of the in-house studio musicians - was astonishing ....