Mark Turner Meets Gary Foster

mjzee

Release date May 17:

41Wk2lFA6eL.jpg

(2-CD set) This live concert from 2003 brings together four giants in jazz for an evening of tribute to Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh and Lennie Tristano. Most of the music is seldom heard today and comes from a vibrant era when modern innovations were changing the way jazz was played. Mark Turner's tenor sax and Gary Foster's alto sax carry the melodies with no chordal instruments, relying purely on the rhythmic backing of Putter Smith's bass and Joe La Barbara's drums. It is spontaneity on the highest level filled with humor and joyful interactions.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Does anyone have this release, and care to discuss?  (I’m just discovering of its existence this very minute, and did a quick search to see if it had ever been mentioned around these parts before.)

I heard it.  It's enjoyable!  Whether beyond "enjoyable" comes down to how much you like this kind of thing.  (I like Turner and have seesawed on whether to spring for a copy.)

• 9 months later...