Stupid question for our resident musicians...

Jazzmoose

Okay, this one's making me feel stupid AND crazy. I thought I had at least learned enough to figure out time signatures for songs, but this one song popped into my head the other day, and I can't figure it out...

Song is "El Paso". You know, the one Marty Robbins sang. Can anyone help? With or without "you idiot!" comments is fine! :g

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it's in 6/8.. which means you'd count it like this:

1...2...3... 4...5..6... 1...2...3... 4...5..6... 1...2...3... 4...5..6... etc.

It's definately a "3" feel... like a waltz, but it seems to be in two-bar phrases, which is why I would consider it 6/8. But you could also just count it in three's... as in

1...2...3... 1...2...3...

Same difference...

Sorry, time was (and is) short. But...

Depends on the tempo, the feel, the phraseology, all that "internal" musical stuff. A lot of marches are actually written in 6/8, but felt in 2. Similarly, a lot of blues are more or less in 12/8, but you feel the beat as a slow 4, at least listening to the bass line. And 3/4 in no ways needs to always be a waltz. So - yes and no. ;)

Lots of variables - don't let the math fool ya'!

Like Jim said, don't let the math fool you. Yes, 6 eigths notes equal the same amount of time as 3 quarter notes, but it's more of a feel issue.

As I mentioned, "El Paso" feels more like a "two feel". In other words, try singing the first line to yourself.

Down in the west Texas town of El Paso

The accents fall on "down", "west", "town" and "Pa".

Down in the west Texas town of El Paso

"Down in the west Texas" is all one phrase, with two accents... thus a "two" feel, thus two sets of three, thus 6/8.

At least that's how I hear it. :)

The faster tempos usually end up being thought of as being in 6 (probably becuse it's less taxing menatlly to count to six once than to three twice at a fast tempo), the slower ones in 3, but I guarandamntee you that if you're playing for dancers and they want A WALTZ that you better think, feel, and play it in 3 and nothing else no matter what the tempo.

It DOES make a difference!

Brad, it's been pretty well covered already, but 6/8 is a thing unto itself. It has a definite feel of its own, and isn't the same as 3/4. A 6/8 is mainly felt as a one two, one two, thing, where the one and the two each cover three beats. Lots of marches are in that time signature. (I don't know the names of the well-known marches, so I can't give you an example - sorry!)

Last week, I wrote a cascading piano line in 9/8 that rides over the end of a song in which everyone else is in 4. It serves as an outro part that I 'fade in' with about a minute or two to go. It must sound smooth because nobody noticed..... ;)

This is in a rock setting, mind you.

EDIT: ...and played on the piano immediately to your left. B)

Edited by Brandon Burke

The faster tempos usually end up being thought of as being in 6 (probably becuse it's less taxing menatlly to count to six once than to three twice at a fast tempo), the slower ones in 3, but I guarandamntee you that if you're playing for dancers and they want A WALTZ that you better think, feel, and play it in 3 and nothing else no matter what the tempo.

It DOES make a difference!

That's interesting. I have a couple of different transcriptions of Tenderly that are in 3/4. Who the heck plays Tenderly in 3/4? I wonder if these were written for dance bands?

Like Jim said, don't let the math fool you. Yes, 6 eigths notes equal the same amount of time as 3 quarter notes, but it's more of a feel issue.

And then there's the old hemiola.

Where what's been 6/8 turns into 3/4 (by way of accents) for a bar or two:

1 2 3 4 5 6

1 + 2 + 3 + (aka "1 2 3 4 5 6")

(happens a lot in latin music, especially in 12/8 things)

I have a couple of different transcriptions of Tenderly that are in 3/4. Who the heck plays Tenderly in 3/4? I wonder if these were written for dance bands?

Lots of people USED to. It was originally written as a waltz, if my Jurassic-era fakebook is to be believed.

I'd say "All Blues" is a bad example - I wouldn't say it was 6/8 although it has been described that way. Maybe even notated that way. It's really 6/4, played like 2 bars of 3/4 joined at the hip. "All Blues" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" have way too much in common. The pulse is defined as the bass walks quarter notes in each.

6/8 is a compound meter - easiest example is "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

3/4 is a simple meter - something like "America"/"God Save the Queen" or "The Star Spangled Banner" for that matter.

Mike