Potential new "jazz-related" job for the Rooster??

RT,

Good communication skills are essential to this position. You'll be giving tours and speaking quite a bit to groups, and you'll probably have to write a bunch of stuff as far as proposals, outlines, etc.

A good speaking voice or one that can carry will be useful. I seem to recall that you did some choral stuff, so you know how to project your voice well.

Good organizational skills are always important.

When dealing with groups of kids, 'Santa Pazienca(sp)'- that's Italian for patience of a saint', frequently heard in my house when growing up with my two sisters!

BEST OF LUCK, RT, LET US KNOW HOW THIS DEVELOPS...

I think you would be a terrific representative for the museum. Jazz knowlege is one thing, but you've also displayed a superior ability to relate to others, Rooster, and that should take you far in any endeavor. There might be some reverse discrimination going on, but it wouldn't hurt to try anyway. I would imagine that you would be very patient with kids. People are most effective when they love their jobs. I think you would do just fine. :)

A good speaking voice or one that can carry will be useful. I seem to recall that you did some choral stuff, so you know how to project your voice well.

I worked as a radio DJ when I was back in college, and did a little bit of newscasting too (on the radio). Wasn't just at the college station, but also at a local AM/FM set of sister stations. I've got a good strong voice. Knowing what to say when -- that's another story -- but I've got a good set of pipes.

Just to give a slightly different angle on this Wyntonesque thing. He does seem really good at the education thing - and there is that "Marsalis on Music" series where he teaches kids. Maybe watching bits of that (just one prog would probably do) might give you some angle on what they might want you to do - or where they're coming from if they have been influenced by Wynton.

It gives an idea of how to talk about Jazz to kids, anyway

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

I'll talk to you more in person about this, Rooster, but from my experience you need to be a bit of an entertainer when working with kids. I know when I do clinics (and this is for older kids- like high school and college!) I have to balance talking with doing something else (like playing, listening or some other non-verbal interactive type of thing). If you lecture for too long, they'll start to tune out, regardless of the importance of what you're saying. Chalk it up to the ever-decreasing attention span. I've noticed that when I talk for too long (more than 7-10 minutes usually), I start to detect a general glazed-over deer-in-the-headlights look accompanied by shifting in seats. I try to vary the input and do different things, especially things that involve the students- make 'em sing, clap, stomp etc.

And don't assume any knowledge on their part. They often won't admit to not understanding something and just gradually tune out. I think it's important to explain even the most fundamental concepts without being patronizing or elitist about it.

I would go into the interview with some ideas for making the process fun for the kids. Use local musicians for demonstrations, for example. Make it a community affair.

And most important, realize there's no way you're going to be able to please everyone. Just do what you think is right. If that's not good enough than maybe it wasn't meant to be. Or better yet, it will work out perfectly!

The best advice, IMHO, is to be yourself!

The museum is pretty cool, I stopped in to check it out about a year ago as well as the Negro League Baseball Museum in the same complex; both are very nice! It seems as though the area is going through some renovations. I think I remember seeing some nice condos going up in the neighborhood.

Mark

Looks like you're in the enviable position of being able to take the time to find a job that meets your employment criteria. First of all, hit your knees every night and say thanks for a wife who's willing to support you while you look for the right spot. Then ask yourself, "what do I have to lose by applying?" The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get the job and you're right back where you started. The best thing that can happen is you get it. But, you'll never know anything more than you know now if you don't throw your hat in the ring. One thing for sure...you don't want to wind up second guessing yourself and endlessly wondering "what if?" And don't forget, even if you get the job and it turns out not to be what you thought it would be, it's not like you're signing a lease. It sounds like an interesting spot for which you are well qualified.

Up over and out.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this Rooster... sorry to hear that. I grew up in KC, and in my subsequent visits back to town, have been through there a few times. One time when I was thinking about moving back to KC I even went there to ask them about employment opportunities, and they gave me a contact name that I have long since misplaced. I know what you mean about the racial stuff, but everyone in there was very nice to me and very helpful.... I didn't at all get the feeling that I had to prove myself as a white guy.

Anyway, from what I know of reading your posts on this board, seems to me like you would have been a great candidate for the job. It's definitely their loss that they didn't even call you in for an interview. Having applied for hundreds of jobs in the last couple of years myself (some of which I cared as deeply about as you did this one) I have been surprised many times by how often I get completely ignored, even though I figured my qualifications and interests were very competitive. If anything, at least they have your information there now, and if something opens up in the future that you reapply for, maybe somebody in there will remember your resume and admire your persistence. Here's hoping, anyway...

Sorry to hear that Rooster. I thought/think you would be great for that job!

Hang in there ... doing what you love for a living is a noble pursuit!

Eric

PS - Is there a jazz museum "society" that you could participate in to get to know some folk if the opportunity comes up again?

Edited by Eric