Jazz Modernism outside the Americas - Recommendations and recollections

Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I think this was common practice wherever someone attempted to make an even faster buck by  widening its sales appeal with a sort of "generic" artist credits than would allow the buyers' imaginations to run wild (and be fooled :g). The 1957 Wolfgang Lauth session (that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread) that ended up on the obscure U.S. Pulse label (though recorded in Germany but never released here) was credited to an imaginary "European Jazz Quartet" (maybe trying to trick Stateside buyers into believing this was "Europe's Answer to the MJQ"? :g), though at least the musicians were identified correctly in the liner notes. Not to mention the fanciful credits (or no-credits) on budget labels such as Crown ...

indeed, a compilation of the Eardley album, the St Tropez album and possibly others was also issued in Finland without any identifying information (besides some of the song titles), here, but apparently Dirne was so fond of some of the titles that he reused them for unrelated compositions as well... tunes named "Extended Play", "Try for satisfy" [?] and "Subtroyan Influence" [??] also appear on this fairly awful piano album that was variously released as "Walt Lemon – Dreamin' Piano", "Robert Stenway Plays Piano Cocktail" and  "Walter Berns ‎– Piano Party" (possibly others, too) but the compositions have nothing to do with those on the Eardley album

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Niko said:

I only got the Guitar Genius CD relatively recently (and still haven't found Volume 2) and I think I'd rate it somewhere in the middle of my Rene Thomas albums... to be more precise: the Louiss/Thomas/Clarke Trio CD is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums and I'd place that one in a different league... I like Thomas' early sessions (like "The real cat" which Peter Friedman posted above), they're more focused and maybe a bit less free - hard to compare...  The later live recordings can be a bit incoherent at times,

While I did not find that Guitar Genius album really "free", actually my impression upon relistening to it now for the first time in years is "freewheeling" ... I see what you mean about "incoherent", though.
But then I cannot judge his overall output because I have a selectin of his 50s and early 60s recordings (including the 1962 date on Mole Jazz) but that's just a smattering and the Guitar Genius CD is "the odd one out" in what I have ...

didn't mean "free" in the sense of "free jazz"... for live Rene Thomas from the early 60s, there's now also a nice double cd from Fresh Sound which duplicates some of the contents of the elusive Guitar Genius 2 ... like I said, for later Thomas, the things I really like feature Eddy Louiss at the organ like here

or here

Edited by Niko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

No idea where or how I discovered this album (recorded in Sweden in 1963-64) -- which I'm only just now rediscovering in a want-list I have on discogs -- but I thought I'd better post about it, before I forgot all about it again for 5 more years probably...

Not sure if this has ever been discussed any on the board, but this thread seemed as good as any...

https://www.discogs.com/release/9595903-Lars-Lystedt-Sextet-Jazz-Under-The-Midnight-Sun

Lars Lystedt Sextet  Jazz Under The Midnight Sun

Edited by Rooster_Ties

10 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

No idea where or how I discovered this album (recorded in Sweden in 1963-64) -- which I'm only just now rediscovering in a want-list I have on discogs -- but I thought I'd better post about it, before I forgot all about it again for 5 more years probably...

Not sure if this has ever been discussed any on the board, but this thread seemed as good as any...

https://www.discogs.com/release/9595903-Lars-Lystedt-Sextet-Jazz-Under-The-Midnight-Sun

Lars Lystedt Sextet  Jazz Under The Midnight Sun

What are your views on it? I don't think his name has come up. He's not on any Swedish records I have listened to.

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Nobody talks about jazz on Jupiter anymore.

I don't follow. I tried Googling "Jazz on Jupiter" but just got the manga series Cowboy Bebop.

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What are your views on it? I don't think his name has come up. He's not on any Swedish records I have listened to.

To be honest, this was a date that I discovered the existence of at some point a few years ago (I presume). So I added to my ‘wanted’ list on Discogs, and promptly forgot all about it. Discogs had just the one track on YouTube that I posted above (and I couldn’t play it on-demand from Pandora, which had never heard of Lystedt) — so other than that one, I don’t know the album.

(I just noticed it on my want-list yesterday, and thought if I posted it here, maybe I wouldn’t forgot about it again for probably a couple more years. :P)

So — I’m on a quest for it on CD, but one that does’t cost a mint.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 6/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

To be honest, this was a date that I discovered the existence of at some point a few years ago (I presume). So I added to my ‘wanted’ list on Discogs, and promptly forgot all about it. Discogs had just the one track on YouTube that I posted above (and I couldn’t play it on-demand from Pandora, which had never heard of Lystedt) — so other than that one, I don’t know the album.

(I just noticed it on my want-list yesterday, and thought if I posted it here, maybe I wouldn’t forgot about it again for probably a couple more years. :P)

So — I’m on a quest for it on CD, but one that does’t cost a mint.

I see that it is on Spotify.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, mhatta said:

I guess you might know Takayanagi through works with Kaoru Abe.  My personal favorite is La Grima from 1971.  It was played live before angry left-wing (and snobby) college students, and the group was not really welcomed.  They delivered stunning performance anyway, but somehow greeted with chants "Ka-e-re! (go home! go home!)"  You can hear that at the last moment.  I think this is a minor miracle.

Looks like this has just gotten a rerelease.

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks!  I'll move it further forward in the stack!

Move it straight to the front, it's that good

50 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

There is also some backstory to it, but I do not recall it.

Something about a trip to Thailand or Indonesia? Although I may be mixing it up with a Tony Scott album

Also, don't miss out on 'One Tension' by the same band