UMG/Decca's new tranche of remastered British jazz vinyl

RogerF

Am currently listening to the just-released Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe by The New Jazz Orchestra lovingly remastered and cut by Gearbox Records for Universal/Decca's British jazz reissue series. The audio quality on 180grm vinyl is staggeringly good. The previous two reissues in this series, Don Rendell's Space Walk and Kenny Wheeler's Windmill Tilter, were again both superbly produced. Despite the slightly high purchase price, I cannot recommend these three albums enough. The quality is such that it would easily convert vinyl skeptics. I've now been convinced by these (and other recent reissues) that the much-vaunted resurgence of vinyl is not just hype or hip. They also come with an audio download code and an insert with new liner notes by the series' executive producer Tony Higgins.

NJO.jpg

Edited by RogerF
Adding photo

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That's a shame.  Both of my codes from this series have worked perfectly so not anticipating any issues with this one 

Does anyone know which titles are due next?  I have only seen listings up to 'Dejeuner...'

Tony H is keeping his counsel on this, but looks like there will be others of this ilk; who knows? Hum Dono? Westbrooks? Dankworth? BTW my download codes all worked but I just wish they would yield MP3s rather than WAVS (I realise that rather defeats the purpose of high res digital, but I still listen on iPod/iPhone).

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Tony H told me no more than 6 weeks ago that new releases were due 2022

That’s good to hear - hope you are right.

The previous ‘Impressed Repressed’ didn’t last long with the suits at Universal, hopefully there won’t be a repeat.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Have excellent original copies of both of these - as well as both on CD. So will probably pass. On the other hand I did buy the ‘Dejeuner’ at good price for regular play copy so may do likewise if I see them similarly priced. The only negative (minor) on that one is the scanned quality of the cover art.

Interesting that both of the new ones are from the Philips/Deram labels so maybe getting rights for those is proving less problematic?

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...